SPRINGFIELD BEATEN BY UNIVERSITY NINE

Gives Only Four Hits to Visiting Team While Crimson Collects Ten--Tobin and DeRham Get Three Hits Each

Beginning its final week's drive before the Yale series, the University pinned a 6 to 1 defeat on the Springfield nine on Soldiers Field yesterday. Jumping into the lead in the first inning, the Crimson found the offerings of two visiting pitchers often and hard, ending the bombardment with two home runs in the last half of the eighth.

Much of the credit for the victory should go to the Crimson battery. Herrmann on the mound kept the visiting batsmen helpless, allowing only four hits, and he would have let the invading nine down without a score had it not been for the loose fielding of his team mates. His battery mate, DeRham, celebrated his debut on the University nine by netting three hits in four times at bat, one of these a long home run into right field. He caught one man attempting to pilfer second base, and played an excellent game behind the bat.

Tobin Gets Three Hits

The Crimson started off with a rush in the first frame when Ellison drove a hard grounder at Di Giovanni, getting two bases when the Springfield infielder juggled the play and threw wild to first. Zarakov came through with a clean hit through shortstop, scoring Ellison. He stole second a moment later, and scored when Tobin produced the first of the three bingles which he collected during the afternoon. The Crimson first baseman--was caught for the third out when he attempted to steal second.

Gates, who pitched the first part of the game for the visitors, tightened up after these two tallies and held the Crimson scoreless for two innings. Meanwhile, in the fourth, Springfield collected its single score of the game. Crawley, who was to supplant Gates in the box before the game was over, drove a two-base hit to left field. Todd's throw to the infield was just wild enough not to go next to any infielder, and no effort was made to retrieve it, Crawley taking third. It was Todd's first miscue of the season, and unfortunately it was one of the kind made imperative by the necessity of scoring it to the only man involved in the play. Berry flied out to Tobin, but Wright lifted a long sacrifice fly to Ellison scoring Crawley. Keene bungled a Di Giovanni drive, but Mahankan was an easy out at first.

Crimson Tallies Again

In the same inning the University retaliated with another score. After Todd had flied out. Tobin got his second hit. Hammond walked, and when Burgess hit to third base. Tobin was an easy out at the hot corner. DeRham came through in time with a single to right field, scoring Hammond from second base, but the Crimson backstop was caught by a fast relay when he tried to take second on the play at the plate.

Herrmann with the help of two fast double plays was keeping the visitors helpless. Except for Crawley, who scored after his double, no Springfield warrior got to second base safely throughout the nine innings. The Crimson meanwhile was nicking Crawley, who assumed the pitching role in the fifth, for three more scores.

Crawley's luck in the fifth inning was sensational. He entered the game with one out, and Keene on third, whither he had proceeded after walking, on Ellison's two-bagger. Crawley walked Zarakov, loading the bases. Todd was due for a hit, and he lined one of the hardest hit balls of the afternoon straight at Di Giovanni. The diminutive second baseman stopped it with one hand and caught it with the other just before it dropped to the ground, retiring the side by doubling up Zarakov at first.

Two Home Runs in Succession

The University came back at the Springfield relief pitcher in the next inning, garnering one run. In the eighth, the final touches were put on the game when Burgess drove the ball far over the Freshman diamond before it stopped rolling, getting home before the fielder had picked up the ball. The next moment. De Rham stepped into another of Crawley's shoots, sending it into deep right field for a similar home run.

The Summary.

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Keene s.s.  2  0  0  1  5  2Ellison r.f.  4  1  1  3  0  0Zarakov 3b.  2  1  1  0  3  1Todd l.f.  4  0  0  1  0  1Tobin 1b.  4  0  3  14  3  0Hammond 2b.  3  2  0  6  3  0Burgess c.f.  3  1  1  0  0  0DeRham c.  4  1  3  0  1  0Herrmann p.  4  0  1  2  2  0Totals  30  6  10  27  17  4SPRINGFIELD  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Jenkins l.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0Erickson 1b.  2  0  0  7  1  0Crawley c.f., p.  4  1  1  1  2  0Berry s.s.  4  0  0  4  1  1Wright 3b.  3  0  0  2  2  0Di Giovanni 2b.  3  0  0  2  3  1Mahankan r.f.  4  0  0  1  1  0Hanson c.  4  0  2  3  2  0Gates p.  2  0  1  0  2  0Crump c.f.  1  0  0  2  0  0Totals  30  1  4  24  14