ELTON, LAWRENCE TO GIVE 4 COURSES

Professor Elton Is Authority on English Literature of Eighteenth Century--Lawrence Specializes on Drama

The list of courses to be given by Professor Oliver Elton and by Mr. W. J. Lawrence, who will come to the English Department next year from England, was announced at University Hall last night. The results of Mr. Lawrence's researches during the last few years, as yet unpublished, will be incorporated in the courses which he will give during the coming year.

Professor Elton Gives Two Courses

Professor Elton, King Alfred Professor of English Literature in the University of Liverpool and the author of many significant books, will give two courses in the second half-year, English 8 and Comparative Literature 29. In English 8 he will deal with English Literature from 1730 to 1785. Comparative Literature 29 will take as its subject Poetics and Literary Criticism. This course deals historically with poetics and literary criticism and includes also direct discussion of various critical topics. Among the authors considered are Plato, Aristotle, Longinus, Dante, Sidney, Dryden, Boileau, Johnson, Coleridge, Wordsworth, SaintBeuve, Arnold, and Pater.

Mr. Lawrence Is Dramatic Authority

Mr. Lawrence, a recognized authority on the history of the English stage from the Elizabethan period through the Restoration, will offer as half courses in the first half-year English 38 and English 15. The English Theatre in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries will be the subject for English 38, with special consideration being given to its structure, its public, and its players. English 15 will deal with Studies and Problems in the History of the English Theatre in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries.

English 15 Covers Big Range

Among the subjects considered in English 15 will be the Inn Yard performances and their influence on English dramaturgy, the physical conditions of the early public theatres, the origin and characteristic of the Elizabethan "private" playhouse, the influence of the "decor simultane" on early court staging, the principles of early dramatic collaboration, stage lighting; its rise and progress from 1590 to 1800, the principles of early prompt-book making, early play-going customs, the mystery of the Restoration procenian doors, the characteristics of Elizabethan acting, doubling as a primative principle and its influence of dramaturgy.

Dean Lowes Praises Both Men

"Professor Elton," said Dean Lowes in a statement to the CRIMSON, "is the author of a large number of significant books. Notable among these works is a translation of the works of Saxo Grammaticus, a study of Michael Drayton, and particularly a distinguished work in four volumes on the history of English literature from the middle of the eighteenth century to the middle of the nineteenth.

"Mr. Lawrence is perhaps the most distinguished living authority upon the history of the English stage from the Elizabethan period through the Restoration," declared Dean Lowes speaking of Mr. Lawrence's work and field. "He has written on 'The Life of Gustavus Vaughan Brooke, Tragedian,' and on other theatrical figures, his chief volume being 'The Elizabethan Playhouse and other Studies,' published in 1912 and 1913. Since then important papers of his have appeared in the Modern Language Review, Studies in Philology, the Fortnightly Review, and in a considerable number of other periodicals. Mr. Lawrence has no academic position, but it a private and independent scholar, of a type which is but too rare in this country."