WORLD'S NEED IS CLEAR THINKING SAYS LOWELL

Advocates "Mental Preparedness" in Baccalaureate Sermon Before 800 at Appleton Chapel

A crowd of nearly 800 people, consisting of members of the Senior class, their families, friends, and members of the faculty, packed Appleton Chapel to the doors yesterday afternoon to hear President Lowell deliver the baccalaureate sermon.

President Lowell was assisted in the service by Professor E. C. Moore, chairman of the board of preachers, who gave the invocation and lead the responsive reading.

Stresses Straight Thinking

The need for straight thinking and right thinking was the thesis of President Lowell's sermon. After emphasizing the need of taking careful thought now as to the settlement of the problems of the future, he added.

"If, eleven years ago, people had thought out the consequences of the World War, it would have been possible to prevent the war,--and it would have been prevented."

Although endorsing material, preparedness, President Lowell declared that "mental preparedness" was a factor just as essential in preventing future conflicts.

At the close of the baccalaureate sermon, the 1925 class hymn, composed by Hugh Whitney '25, of Paris, France, was sung. The benediction was then given by President Lowell, and the members of the Senior class, of whom 350 were present at the service, adjourned to President Lowell's house, where a reception for the class was held by the President and Mrs. Lowell

The baccalaureate sermon is printed in full on page three of this morning's CRIMSON.