SOUSA'S BAND WILL PLAY HERE IN FALL

Has Made Tours to Europe and Around World--Sousa One of Best Band Conductors in America

Sousa and his band will give a concert in Sanders Theatre on the opening day of the college year next fall, according to an announcement made last night by the Department of Music. The concert, which will be given on Monday, September 28, will be open to the faculty and students without charge through the courtesy of Lieutenant Sousa.

Is First Appearance at University

This is the first time that Sousa and his band have ever appeared at the University. The famous conductor, who is very much interested in the progress of music at the University, offered to give a complimentary concert to the students some time ago. The corporation accepted and the final arrangements with the manager of the band have just been completed. The band will be on tour at the time, but will stop over long enough in Cambridge to give the concert. This will be the organization's only appearance in Boston and vicinity this fall.

The Department of Music thought it advisable to make the announcement of the concert at the present time as it will be difficult to give the concert sufficient publicity to the student body in the fall.

Sousa Is World Famous

John Philip Sousa is recognized as one of the most gifted and authoritative band conductors in the country and his spirited and tuneful melodies have won a deserved popularity the world over. He early showed evidence of marked musical talent and started his work as a conductor at the age of 17. In 1880 he became the leader of the United States Marine Band and held that position until 1892, when he organized and directed his own personal organization.

Sousa and his band have gone on many extensive tours, several times to Europe and two times around the world. During the war Lieutenant Sousa joined the navy and became the director of a band at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, Great Lakes, Ill. At one time his band there was the largest group of musicians that had ever played under the direction of one conductor and became nationally known.

Known As Composer of Marches

Each season Lieutenant Sousa and his band make an extended tour of the United States, playing in all the larger cities. His band, while known chiefly for its rendition of march tunes, includes in its programs more pretentious compositions from the operas and symphonies. Iieutenant Sousa is known chiefly as a composer of marches of these his "Stars and Stripes Forever" is perhaps the most famous. His marches "Washington Post" and "Liberty Bell" are equally as well known.

During his wide travels Lieutenant Sousa has received numerous decorations in recognition of his ability as a leader and a musician. Besides being decorated with the Victorian Order of England he has received the Palms of the Academy, a French decoration and medals from other countries.

Professor W. R. Spalding '87 of the Department of Music, in commenting on the concert last night, said: "Lieutenant Sousa pays the University a very handsome compliment by giving a concert this fall in Sanders Theatre. It will undoubtedly be a superb concert and everyone who wishes to hear it should bear the date in mind and arrange to be in Cambridge at the time. Certainly no student will regret the time thus spent, however busy he may be with the many necessary activities connected with registration."