CRIMSON CLEANUP IN MILE AND HALF-MILE EXPECTED

NORTON OF YALE IS FAVORED IN DASHES AND BROAD JUMP

Yale won the dual track meet at the Stadium last spring with a 12-point margin. In ten days seven of last year's Blue scorers will again face Harvard, this time at New Haven. For the Crimson, nine veteran point winners will compete.

Yale will be the favorite on June 15 in view of the strong showing in the Intercollegiates, in which the Elis came in third after the University of Southern California and Princeton. Sport writers believe that Yale's strength in the field events coupled with Norton's almost certain points in the 100 and 220-yard dashes will give the Blue team a sufficient score to carry the meet.

Norton is Dangerous

Crimson supporters follow another line of reasoning. Princeton defeated Yale 70-65 and won over Harvard with a two-third point larger margin. These comparative scores predict practically a tie between Harvard and Yale. Crimson followers also point to the fact that 12 of Yale's points in the Intercollegiates were gathered by one man, Norton. A first, second, and third count more for an individual college in an intercollegiate meet than they do in a dual meet. Whereas Harvard scored no one in either of the sprints at the Intercollegiates or in the broad jump, in the dual meet it should at least get three or four points in each of the sprints and one in the broad jump. Instead of the ratio between Harvard and Yale being 12 to one in these events as in the Intercollegiates, it will be something like 15 to eight or nine in the dual meet.

Mile Cleanup Probable

Last year Watters won the mile race and Tibbetts came in second. A Sophomore, Haggerty, is added to this duo this season. Last Saturday he distinguished himself leading a large field of intercollegiate milers to the tape. There seems little reason why Harvard should not gather nine points in the mile against Yale.

In the two-mile Yale has two good men. Briggs, who came in fourth in the Intercollegiates, and Smith, who captured the title in the Yale-Princeton dual meet. Tibbetts of Harvard won the race at Philadelphia last Saturday in 9 minutes 26 6-10 seconds. He is assured a first against Yale, but whether Cutcheon or Ryan can get a second is another question. Cutcheon won in the meet against Princeton in 9 minutes 45 seconds, while Smith beat the Tigers in four seconds less.

The half-mile was won last year by Watters, who also captured the 1924 Intercollegiate title. Last week this runner came in fourth, covering the distance in 1 minute 55 3-10 esconds, but still nearly two seconds behind the winner, Marsters of Georgetown. Both Haggerty and Barker can run the half in under 1 minute 58 seconds, whereas Gibson, the best Eli half-miler, usually breaks the tape in a fraction over 1 minute 58 seconds. When pressed Gibson may show something better, but the chances look good for a Crimson cleanup in the half.

Captain Gage of Yale finished second in the Intercollegiate quarter and his teammate, Paulson, placed fourth. The two Harvard entries, Kane and Allen, failed to qualify by a narrow margin. As far as the race a week from Monday is concerned it will be a fight for second place between Allen, Kane, and Paulson.

Norton Favored in Dashes

In the 220-yard dash Lundell will have a difficult job on his hands with Norton. The Yale sprinter won two firsts in the dual meet last year, and the Elis expect him to repeat that performance this spring. Lundell and Miller are distinctly obstacles to be considered in the way of this champion. Peck is another Crimson runner who should give Norton opposition. Both Peck and Lundell ran the 220 in 22 seconds flat against Princeton, equalling the dual meet record. It is true that Norton is in the habit of sprinting the 220 in something like 21 2-10 seconds, and it is also true that he is a distinct favorite against Harvard. In the 100 his 9 4-5 time also gives him an edge on Miller, although the latter may break ten seconds if pushed