ADVANTAGES OF UNION MEMBERSHIP MANIFOLD

"HAVEN OF REFUGE" TO THE NEW STUDENT IN CAMBRIDGE

The following article was written especially for the crimson by C.P. Fordyce, '23, Graduate Secretary of the Union.

The Harvard Union, after undergoing a thorough renovation during the summer, will open its doors on next Monday, September 28.

The Union, which is the common club of the University, is situated on the corner of Harvard and Quincy Streets. All men connected with the University are eligible for membership, up to the physical capacity of the building. Those who were not members last year and wish to join, may do so at either the Bursar's Office on the main floor of Lehman Hall, or at the Hemenway Gymnasium. The due for the year, which are charged on the University term bill, are ten dollars.

Many Advantages in Membership

The advantages of membership in the Union are many. Only members are allowed to eat in its restaurant and have the expense put on their college bills. Only members are allowed to use its Library. "The Best Bentleman's Library in the Country," its reading room where current magazines and newspapers are on file, or its pool and billiard room.

Only members are allowed to attend the tea dances held after each football game in Cambridge, the Football Dance held the night before the Yale game and the other dances. Only members are allowed to come to the moving picture shows, or the talks given by the famous men who come to the University.

Only members are allowed to compete for the prizes which are awarded to the winners of the Essay Competition, or the tennis, squash-racquets, pool and billiard tournaments.

Occupies Unique Position

The position which the Union occupies in University life is unique. It is the one club which is open to all Harvard men, whether they are in the college, or in one of the graduate schools, whether they are freshmen or seniors. It is the one place where all may become acquainted; the place where one can best see college life. For those who are in Cambridge for the first time, it is a haven of refuge, it is a place near the "yard" where all may meet; a place where one may forget, for a while the wories of getting settled and lose himself in the pleasure of reading his home newspaper, or in a game of pool, or billiards, or bridge.

As yet the program of entertainment for the year has not been definitely arranged. Efforts are being made to secure slow motion pictures of football games and tennis matches and to have coaches of these two sports explain them. Plans are also underway to have Mr. C.E. Danworth of New York, speak on "Mysticism."

During the summer many changes have been made in the physical equipment of the Union. A new lighting system has been installed on the second floor. Many new easy chairs have been bought and placed in he Library and in the Reading Room. Moreover, the kitchens on both the second and first floor have been greatly improved.