SOUSA'S BAND TO GIVE CONCERT HERE MONDAY

BAND HAS PLAYED FOR THIRTY YEARS THROUGHOUT WORLD

For the first time in his 45-years career as band leader, John Philip Sousa and his band will give a concert at the University next Monday afternoon, September 28, at 3 o'clock, in Sanders Theatre. Through the courtesy of Lieutenant Sousa the concert will be open without charge to the faculty and students of the University.

The concert was made possible when the famous conductor offered to make a complimentary appearance with his band at the University. Final arrangements were completed late last Spring. Sousa has long followed with close attention the progress of music at Cambridge under Dr. Davison's leadership.

The program for Monday's concert includes several pieces of Sousa's own composition, among which are the famous "Liberty Bell," March and a new work, "Jazz America." In addition Miss Marjorie Moody, soprano, Mr. John Nolan, cornet, and Mr. George Cary, xylophone, will render solos. There will also be a jazz piece and selections from opera and light opera.

Sousa Is World Famous

John Philip Sousa is recognized as one of the most gifted and authoritative band conductors in the country and his spirited and tuneful melodies have won a deserved popularity the world over. He early showed evidence of marked musical talent and started his work as a conductor at the age of 17. In 1880 he became the leader of the United States Marine Band and heled that position until 1892, when he organized and directed his own personal organization.

Sousa and his band have gone on many extensive tours, several times to Europe and, two times around the world. During the way Lieutenant Sousa joined the navy and became the director of a band at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station. Great Lakes, III. At one time his band there was the largest group of musicians that had ever played under the direction of one conductor and became nationally known.

Known as Composer of Marches

Each season Lieutenant Sousa and his band make an extended four of the United States, playing in all the larger cities. His band, while known chiefly for its rendition of March tunes, included in its programs more pretentious compositions from the operas and symphonies. Lieutenant Sousa is known chiefly as a composer of marches; of these his "Stars and Stripes Forever" is perhaps the most famous.

During his wide travels Lieutenant Sousa has received numerous decorations in recognition of his ability as a leader and a musician. Besides being decorated with the Victorian Order of England he has received the Palms of the Academy, a French decoration and medals from other countries.