WORK ON McKINLOCK HALL, NEW DORMITORY, ADVANCES

Freshman Hall, Begun in August, to Be Ready by Fall of 1928--Memorial to B. A. McKinlock Jr. '16

Work on McKinlock Hall, the new Freshman dormitory which is being erected next to Gore Hall on the River way between Plympton and DeWolfe Streets, is progressing rapidly.

It was begun on August 27, 1925, by the George A Fuller Company from plans by Coolidge, Shipley, Bullfinch, and Abbott, and the contract calls for its completion by next August 15, so that it may be occupied in the fall of 1926.

Memorial to Graduate

The dormitory was given to the University by Mr. and Mrs. George A. McKinlock, of Chicago, in memory of their son, George Alexander McKinlock Jr. '16, who was killed in action during the World War.

McKinlock Hall will be similar in shape to Gore and Standish Halls, with to main building at the north and two wings to the main building in the south forming a court, 100 by 121 feet, open towards the river. It will be built of similar materials to the present Freshman halls: Harvard brick with wood and limestone trim.

Will House 150 Men

Accommodations for 150 men will be provided in suites ranging from single bedroom, bath, and study to six bedrooms, bath, and study; the average suite will accommodate two men. The suites will be arranged on the "entry" plan without public corridors.

In the main part of the building at the north will be a vaulted lobby with limestone walls and flagstone floor opening to the east on to a library, 32 oy 35 feet, finished in natural white pine and trowelled plaster, and on the west down a double stair, to a large room, 32 by 45 feet, two stories high, which will be used at present as a library for the group of Freshman halls. The finish will be natural pine and oak and trowelled plaster with tile floor. Both of these rooms will be less formal in treatment than corresponding ones in the present Freshman halls.