STUDENT ADVISORS

While the system of student advisors for Freshmen is excellent in theory, in practice it has been far from satisfactory. Few of the Senior advisors do more than see their advisees once, and extend a vague invitation to "drop around" whenever the Freshman may feel the need of advice. Many of the advisors fail to see their charges even once. The system was designed to serve as a more intimate link between the Freshman and the University than any faculty advisor could be, has become an obligation lightly assumed and seldom carried out on the part of the Senior.

In an attempt to make the system of student advisors in practice what it is in theory--a place to which Freshmen can turn in the many perplexities not serious enough to merit the attention of a faculty advisor, the Committee of the Student Council in charge of the appointment of Senior advisors has determined on several innovations. The most important of these is the plan, which will be tried next year, of having regular office hours for the advisors. Then, at least, the Freshman, thirsting perhaps for nothing more than information as to "snap" courses, will have a refuge to which he can go and there pour out his troubles. Although in effect this plan shifts to the Freshman the burden and responsibility of making the first contact with his advisor, it is a distinct forward step in the difficult problem of helping the first-year man to adjust himself to his strange environment.

More important, however, than merely making the advisor accessible to the student, is the problem of getting Seniors to take more interest in their advisees. At present public opinion in the University is not definitely behind a system which has worked out so poorly in the past. It remains to be seen whether the new plan of the Student Council will be more successful when the Freshmen are given greater opportunity to cooperate.