NEW YEAR BEGINS AT UNIVERSITY AS STUDENTS RETURN

First Course Meetings Wednesday and Thursday--Reiland to Conduct Daily Chapel All Week

Although some, departments have already registered students, the University as a whole begins its 290th year today. It is not possible at this time to estimate the enrollment figures in the University for 1925-26 because registration in the college will not be completed until 5 o'clock tonight, and in certain departments will continue for several days.

Registration began for first year men on Thursday, and for upperclassmen will continue in the Hemenway Gymnasium from 9 o'clock in the morning until 5 o'clock this afternoon. Tomorrow study cards must be handed in at Emerson Hall by all upperclassmen.

Changes Must Be Approved

Members of the upper classes who do not contemplate changing their study cards as made out last spring, do not need the signature of their advisors a second time. Any change, however, must be approved by the advisors, and indicated on the study card before it is turned in on Tuesday.

The places and hours where advisors, tutors, and heads of departments may be found for consultation in regard to the study cards are indicated on the slip of paper which is to be found in the envelope given out on registration. All professors and instructors who might be of assistance in this capacity are represented on the list, and they have designated office hours for today.

Reiland Conducts Chapel

During the course of this week the Reverend Karl Reiland, D.D., rector of St. George's Church in New York, will conduct morning services in Appleton Chapel at 8.45 o'clock each day. On Sunday, October 4, Professor E. C. Moore, D.D., Chairman of the Board of Preachers, will conduct the regular Sunday morning services in Appleton Chapel.

This is the last day for registration of students under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and in the Engineering School, and now Freshmen must file their plans of study before 5 o'clock. Failure to register today subjects the student to a fine of five dollars. Tomorrow instructors and advisors will hold office hours and all other students in the college and Engineering School must file their plans of study for the first half year.

First meetings of courses will be held on Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday evening, in the Union at 8 o'clock the annual reception to members of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will take place: