POOL BEATS DEBEVOISE IN CLASS A TOURNEY

JANSEN AND LENHART ADVANCE TO THIRD ROUND

The first casualty among the members of the Crimson class A team in the University squash tournament came yesterday, when J. L. Pool '28, played a hard hitting and consistent game to defeat Captain G. D. Debevoise '26, in a three game match on the University Squash Courts. Pool is a member of the second University team which is competing in the Class B inter-Club series of the Massachusetts Squash Racquets Association. The score was 15-12, 10-15, 15-12.

Pool's victory came as a surprise following the flawless play of the Crimson Captain in winning from M. P. Baker '22, the state champion, last Saturday. The winner displayed a variety of good shots and made numerous difficult gets which threw his opponent out of position. As a result of his win Pool will probably meet L. S. Haskins '26 in the lower half of the draw for a finalist position. Haskins is the only other University team player in the lower bracket and he advanced to the second round with little difficulty. By his win over Debevoise, Pool advanced to the fourth round of the tournament.

In the upper half of the draw T. E. Jansen '26 and P. M. Lenhart '27, numbers five and three respectively on the University team encountered no serious opposition in entering the third bracket and will probably meet before the final round. The second upset of the play to date was the defeat of L. H. Roots '26, a member of the second University team, by Horace Bowker '27 in a close match. P. R. Pease '26, number two player on the second University squad and R. L. Debevoise '29, first man on the Freshman team advanced to the third round with out mishap.

Four other tournaments are being held this year simultaneously with the University event and the first round in each has been played off. They are the Engineering School the Graduate School the Law School and the Business School tourneys.