A HOLLOW ANSWER

Life's little jokes include none more guileless than the pricked balloon. No one is hurt, some one is embarrassed, and every one laughs. On the score of such a harmless deflation, so the New York Times relates, the Burgomaster of Roosdorf in Hessen is now a blushing Quixote.

When his citizens petitioned to skate on the village swimming pool, he could not be so careless of political fortunes as to refuse them. Yet his father heart worried lest they drown. Heavily be pondered and then, with sudden decision, uttered an official "Ja". It may be that no skater ventured until the next day. At any rate, not until that time were the Mayor's fears substantiated. While then, instead of a splash, came a queer thud for the Mayor had drained the pond.

It is to be hoped that he was present at the cave-in. One would like to hear what chills fluttered down his spine as he saw the strangely sagging ice, knowing what emptiness lurked below but not what quips might strike above. Perhaps like Napoleon at Ratisbon, he mused, "my plans to earth may fall" let yonder crevices sunder inches more.

Will the Burgomaster be re-elected? If not, there is no sense of humor in Roosdorf.