NOT INSECTS

Communications, written with some display of sincerity and with some evidence of purpose cannot find any but a cordial welcome in these columns. The communication included here today, though written, perhaps with the feeling that graduate students should show a flippancy like unto, that of their juniors at the proper time, further reveals that the author misunderstood the purpose of the editorial to which he refers.

Aside from the vagueness of style and the faults of proof reading which are concomitant with the advent of the college year, the editorial attempted in a certain direct fashion to suggest that too little was done by those who had been some time at Harvard and in Cambridge to help orient the first-year graduate student who comes here from a distant college or university. It was suggested that the CRIMSON had some definite plans for assisting in that work, but, more to the point at this time, it was also suggested that efficient organizations of Harvard graduates, endowed with some knowledge of Harvard, in each professional school could do much more for the first year men than such alien organizations, as the Business School Club, on the surface at least, appears to be doing.

This was not in any sense a glance from an undergraduate ivory tower at the waste lands of the graduate school. Nor did it share any of the traditional provincialism of youthful college smugness. Of course the graduate schools are not in need of the Salvation Army or the Red Cross. But these men who come here to Harvard and are to carry the name of the University on their degrees should realize in some manner the spirit of the place and in some manner, tied as they are to their professional work, appreciate that delightful existence which can be enjoyed at Cambridge. If this be heresy, make the most of it.