FRESHMEN LOSE OPENER TO ANDOVER ELEVEN, 6-0

WETMORE AND TICKNOR SHOW CLASS ON ANDOVER FIELD

In the opening game of its season last Saturday, the Harvard Freshman football team lost to a strong Andover eleven by a score of 6 to 0. Two beautifully executed forward passes spelled defeat for the 1930 men.

In the third quarter successive fumbles by Andover and Harvard gave the ball to the schoolboys on Harvard's 25-yard line. A pretty pass, Gary to Avery, brought the pigskin to the Crimson's five-yard line. An off-side penalty set Andover back five yards at this point, but on the next play Avery took another nice pass, this time from Wheeler, and fell across the Harvard yearling's line. The attempt to kick the goal was blocked.

Andover Holds Freshmen

Harvard had a good chance to score near the close of the second period, when Richardson's punt from behind his own goal line was blocked and recovered for the Crimson on Andover's three-yard mark. But the Blue line stiffened and held the Freshmen for downs. Except for this, Harvard had no good scoring opportunity.

In the fourth quarter, Wheeler, who played brilliantly throughout, found himself balked in his attempt to throw a pass by the Harvard defense swarming through upon him. Abruptly changing his tactics, he dodged three Crimson tacklers, and ran to the Harvard three yard streak. Off-side penalties robbed the schoolboys of their chance to score from this position.

Wetmore and Ticknor Star

The Andover line showed strength, holding firm against the fiercest attacks of the visitors, and charging well on offense. Richardson and Wheeler stood out prominently behind the Blue line. Wetmore and Ticknor played stellar football for Harvard.

The line-up follows: HARVARD 1930  ANDOVER Lewis l.e.  r.e. Lyons Waterman l.t.  r.t. Kingston Ticknor l.g.  r.g. Stewart McMillan c.  c. Gould Pefrasch r.g.  l.g. Davis, Kimball Barnett, r.t.  l.t. Roe Fuller, Brownell r.e.  l.e. Avery, Munn Wetmore, Summers q.b.  q.b. Gary, Whiting, Howard Devins, Coolidge  r.h.b. Frigard Mason r.h.b.  l.h.b. Whecler Holbrook f.b.  f.b. Richardson

Score Andover, 6, Harvard 1930, 0 Touchdown Avery, Referee J. C. Twoamey, Harvard. Umpire George Brown, B. A. A. Linesman S. S. Spellman, Stoneham. Time 10-minute quarters.