FIRST GAME SHOWS MANY WEAKNESSES

One-Two Shift, Split Buck, and Huddle Are New Departures--Punting and Tacking Are Below Par

A Harvard eleven lacking every element or greatness, but giving promise of developing into a hard working and well drilled organization in the future, will start this afternoon on a strenuous week of preparation for its next clash with Holy Cross on Saturday. The 16 to 7 loss suffered at the hands of the powerful McMillin coached Geneva team last Saturday served its purpose as a baptism of fire for most of Coach Horween's green material and clearly showed several fundamental early season faults which must, and probably will be, ironed out before the next meeting of the season with the Crusaders.

Crimson Cause Not Hopeless

The loss of the initial game was not so much an evidence of complete hopelessness in the Crimson situation as it was of the strength and effectiveness showed by the small and compact squad of Geneva athletes led by two or three outstanding men such as Hubbard, the behemoth of the Covenanters line, Flenihen, a smashing, never-saydie halfback who could pass with some degree of accuracy as well as run, and Schancheon, a heady all around quarterback. What the red jersied players did show on their first appearance, was clean handling of the ball in the backfield, plenty of willingness and snap in the execution of plays and a knowledge of the rudimentary facts of football. Flashes of genius and inspiration were conspicuous by their absence and will, unless the situation improves, again be among the elements missing in the Crimson plan of campaign.

From the moment the team stepped on the Stadium field last Saturday, the outward changes effected by the new coaching staff became apparent. The huddle system was the first radical departure from the old system that was noticeable and the plays went off without a hitch following the conferences. A balanced line formation, a fast one two shift in the back field, and a suiit buck, were other new comers in the Crimson mode of attack. On the only deceptive play used y the University eleven during the course of the afternoon, a delayed buck through guard by Sayles, the Crimson right half back ran for a touchdown. For the remainder of the safe and sane veriety was in order. If the new system includes an over head offense it was kept well under cover against the Pennsylvanians. Six passes were attempted of which two were completed for short gains and one was intercepted.

Another disappointment in the first Crimson showing was in the kicking department. Neither Miller nor French were able to hold their own against the Geneva punter and the University lost Leavily on exchange of kicks. The tackling on the whole was better than that displayed in the early season games last year, although there was little enough of the deadly variety which stops a man in his tracks. Of the backs, Sayles alone appeared to be completely at home. The former wingman charges hard and runs, interference well. French, last year's Freshman captain, showed promise of developing into a strong running back but experienced difficulty in getting started against the McMillin team due possibly to nervousness and inexperience.

Tough Assignment for Forwards

The work of the forward line was even less satisfactory than that of the backs. The linemen were admittedly pitted against an unusually powerful set of forwards and were faced in their first game with the problem of solving a shifting method of attack which changed constantly. Turner's loss was felt heavily in the center of the line as was Crosby's in the back field. Coach Horween made numerous substitutions in the line, Symonds, Steward, Goodwin, and Meadows, all new men seeing considerable service. Of these reserves, Meadows, the Sophomore end, showed the most promise.

The summary of the game follows:

HARVARD  GENEVAGamache, Meadows, Strong, l.e.  r.e. HubbardLinder, Pratt, Simonds, l.t.  r.t., MaddoxDaley, Stewart, l.g.  r.g., Cullen, HandeBell, K. Robinson, c.  c, MyersKilgour, Goodwin, Daley, r.g.  l.g., Heinzer, BoggsCoady, Pratt, r.t.  l.t., MaghsceanJ. Robinson, Gamache, r.e.  l.e., BoothStafford, Putnam, French, q.b.  q.b., SchacheonFrench, Chauncey, l.h.b.  r.h.b., AndersonSayles, E. Clark, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Whitmore, Emerick PinkertonMiller, f.b.  f.b., Flenihe