CREWS TAKE FIRST SPINS ON CHARLES

Lutz-Built Boat Is Designed for Heavy Oarsmen--Haines to Coach Green Freshmen Again

Nine heavyweight and seven 150 pound crews took to the water from the Newell Boat House yesterday afternoon for their first workout under the new regime. Coach Brown took his men about four miles at a low stroke and paid especial attention to comparing both the crews as a whole, and the individual men. The crews were all as nearly equal in ability as could be arranged. By keeping the nine boats thus. Coach Brown expects to be able to find each man's ability much more easily than by putting all the best men in a single eight. Several inexperienced coxswains were tried out and given preliminary instructions during the afternoon. Coach Heard also gave his men a rather heavy pull for the first day, taking them about three miles at a slightly higher stroke than the University rowed.

To Try New Shell

Within the next week a shell which has just been built at the Newell boathouse will be ready for the water. This boat is designed for a heavy crew and has exceptionally last lines. It is similar to the one which the undefeated Freshman crew used last year, but has a little more canvas on the bow. As soon as it is completed W. F. Lutz, for twenty years builder of Harvard's shells, will start work on a boat which should be completed by the Midyear period. This boat will be built on the same lines as the one in which the Second University eight of 1914 won the English Grand Challenge cup and which the University 150-pound crew has been using for the past two years. The new shell however, will be built with enough depth to accommodate a heavier aggregation. Still a third boat will probably be built next spring, but it has not yet been decided what the pattern will be. These three new boats are being constructed with hopes that next spring the University crew will find one of them suitable to its needs.

Three 1930 Boats Under Hobson

This fall A. L. Boston Jr. '24, newly appointed assistant University coach, will, in addition to his work with Coach Brown, take charge of the three Freshman eights in which the experienced men are rowing. Last fall Hobson coached the Freshman Red, White, and Blue crews, while Coach Baines took the novices, first on the machines and in the Leviathan, and finally in shells. Coach Haines plans to continue this policy which has proved so successful in the past and instruct the inexperienced men himself. Bobson took his boats out for the first time yesterday afternoon and gave the men a light workout preparatory to longer paddles later in the week.