TEST STLAFTS ON CHEMISTRY LABORATORY SITE ARE SUNK

Two test shafts to determine the nature of the soil have been sunk on the Oxford Street property which has been designated as a projected site for the new chemistry laboratory. The first shaft was driven to a depth of 23 feet and for two-thirds of the distance, a stratum of heavy gravel was encountered, admirably suited for a foundation. During the last seven feet, water was struck in a layer of very fine sand and a pump was necessary to keep the shaft dry.

The other test pit gives indications of resulting in the same way as the first, with a layer of gravel occupying the first 14 feet. The foreman of the digging operations expressed himself as well satisfied with the straba revealed by the shafts. The fine sand at the bottom will form a good base for the concrete foundations of the laboratory, although it will necessitate the presence of several pumps during the early phases of the construction work.

The site of the laboratory is now being cleared of several old buildings. The property is about a 100 feet from the New Lecture Hall.