GILBERT MURRAY TO GIVE PUBLIC TALKS

Series to Continue Until November 5 on Wednesdays and Fridays--To Hold Informal Readings in Straus

Professor Gilbert Murray, emminent classicist and Regins Professor of Greek at Oxford University, who was named the first incumbent of the Charles Eliot Norton chair of Poetry, will give his initial public lecture next Wednesday evening at 8 o'clock in Sanders Theatre.

Professor Murray has arranged a series of eight lectures. The first one will have as its general subject "Tradition". The remaining seven will come on Wednesday and Friday evenings throughout the present month and into the first week of November. His schedule and subjects are as follows: October 15, "The Molpe," October 20, "Metre"; October 22, "Poetic Diction"; October 27, "Architecture"; October 29, "The Heroic Age"; November 3, "Hamlet and Orestes"; November 5, Conclusion.

Informed Readings Scheduled

The Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry was established by the late C. C. Stillman '98, of New York City. Professor Murray selected to be the first holder of the chair, is one of the most noted scholars in the world on classical subjects. And in the field of poetry.

Professor Murray has also announced that, while he is at Harvard, he will talk and read informally to interested students in the common room of Straus Hall every Thursday afternoon at 4.30 o'clock, beginning next week. At the first of these informal meetings, the visiting lecturers will further discuss the subject of the preceding evening.

On Tuesday afternoons from 4 to 6 o'clock, beginning Tuesday, October 19, Professor Murray will be in his study, 173 Widener Library, and available for consultation with students under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences of the University.