A HOUSE AFLOAT

While referendums on the Prohibition question and adept attempts at straddling the issue have been the order of the day in this country. England, still free, is having alcoholic disorders, symptomatic of deeper troubles, higher up in her system of government. The Laborite Doctor Salter brought down the House upon his head when he made the statement that Bacchus had a considerable and enthusiastic following in the House of Commons--recruited for the most part from the Conservatives, whose strength thereby was rather increased than diminished. To make matters even worse, the disturbing Doctor, upon suffering a severe rebuke, seemed not at all penitent and offered to give the names of his erring and indiscreet colleagues.

Premier Baldwin, showing the mailed fist so forcibly applied in the current coal strike, thought that, although all the members of Parliament were not associated with the Anti-Saloon League, at least the House should not let a breath of the affair get outside. It is quite a pity that with all the strength on his side, as shown by the House's vote against Salter, the Premier could not have shown more spirit in the matter either by declaring himself in favor of a cleaner Commons or of a strict laisser-faire policy in regard to the personal rights of the Members of Parliament. Instead, he merely decried the fact that news of the existing exhilaration of various members should soil the name of the House, thereby giving one reason to wonder just what he thought to be done about it anyway. The coal affair has already caused considerable governmental confusion, and if every issue that arises is to be met in this desultory fashion, it is to be feared that the present majority of Conservatives--both toping and tee-totaling factions--will soon evaporate.