FRESHMEN DEFEAT HOLY CROSS

Mason and Hitch Break Through Purple for Touchdowns

While the University eleven was riding rough-shod over Tufts, the Freshman team was forced to face a stiff fight to down the Holy Cross Freshmen, 14 to 0. Outweighed by their opponents, the Purple gridmen played a determined game of football, and kept down a score which, on the merits of team ability alone, might have been larger.

The Crimson aggregation showed a lack of inspiration, and played listlessly, possibly showing the reaction after the last two games, in which the spirit and drive of the 1930 team has been an outstanding feature.

Mason Scores on Long Run

The University Freshmen kicked off to open the battle, and after a few minutes of fairly even play. Mason, 1930 halfback, slipped through a hole at left tackle, and dashed and dodged his way 27 yards to a score. Captain Wetmore added, the seventh point with a dropkick.

Fighting desperately, the visitors managed to keep the ball out of striking distance of their goal for the remainder of the first half but in the third period the 1930 machine rolled down the field, and finally Wetmore sent Hitch for four yard through right tackle for the second touchdown. Wtmore's second drop-kick made the fourteenth point.

Stewart a guard and Wetmore at quarterback were the bright starts of the first year team, while the entire Holy Cross line played a sterling defensive game.