THE CRIMSON REPORTER AT LARGE

CIVIC DUTIES ALREADY IMMINENT FOR STUDENTS

"Editorial comment on state and national politics is an excellent policy for a college newspaper to follow," declared Major Thomas Walsh, when asked by a CRIMSON reporter for his opinion on this question. Major Walsh is the brother of ex-Senator D. I. Walsh, Democratic nominee for United States Senator, and has been prominent in the campaign for his election.

"There are those who believe that college journals should confine themselves strictly to happenings within the college themselves, but I believe that there is too much general indifference to politics, and that if the student publications expressed their opinions on matters of political importance, more interest of a healthy sort would be aroused among the students, who are, after all, the voters of the future.

Political Education Necessary.

"It is most important that they take some thought of politics, and be given an opportunity to express their beliefs, in order that the rest of the country may know the feelings of the coming generation on matters of deepest national concern, and that they themselves should be educated in the conduct of politics and in the issues that confront the nation."

Major Walsh stressed the importance of personality in a political campaign. "The fact that a man has held a number of public offices means little when he runs for office again," he said. "The important consideration is the character of the candidate himself, as shown in his conduct of responsible duties, and as revealed in his attitude toward his political associates. If a man shows himself to be honest, industrious, and appreciative of duty, he needs no further recommendation for office nor is any political ballyhoo needed to add to the popularity of such a candidate.

"Time was, a few years ago, when only the wealthy and influential man could hope to succeed in a political career. But that is changed, and for the better. Any ambitious young man, with sterling recommendations of character, may win success, and this recognition of the importance of personality in candidates for public office makes the future of politics in this country look the brighter.

"This trend, I believe, will increase the interest of college men in politics and will lead them in greater numbers to enter politics as a life work.