PRINCETONIAN VIEWS

Princeton, N. J., Nov. 10, 1926 The following editorial will appear in tomorrow morning's Princetonian:

THE CLIMAX

It is with much regret that the Princetonian learns that relations so venerable and, for the most part, so congenial as the Harvard-Princeton athletic rivalry have come to an end. But it is also with the feeling that incidents culminating in the break led to an inevitable and unavoidable climax and sthat the action taken yesterday by the Board of Athletic Control was the only one open to an institution which feels that welcome athletic relations must be based on a common friendship rather than on any animosity or ill feeling.

The events of the past year and especially of the past week end have made it clearly evident that there is a large and active faction at Harvard, which, rightly or wrongly, does not care to continue athletic relations with Princeton. We pass no judgment on its opinion in this regard. It has a perfect right to feel exactly as it does, but colleges, like gentlemen do not obtrude when the feeling is not congenial. The Board of Athletic Control has felt that, and we believe that it represents the unanimous opinion of Princeton men that Princeton does not make an exception to this rule of colleges and of gentlemen.

Mr. Bingham has not yet received the letter from Professor Kennedy quoted in the Princeton dispatch. He declined to divulge the nature of the resolutions adopted by the University Committee on Regulation of Athletic Sports which were mentioned as a principal reason for the break.

The break has come; the incident is closed. The Princetonian sees no reason why both Harvard and Princeton cannot go their separate ways maintaining the same high standards of athletics that have characterized their policies in the mutual band of the Big Three. Sane and wholesome athletics must be and will be the goal of all