36 MEN ARE NAMED BY PHI BETA KAPPA

Tutor Reports Considered for First Time--Weissberger and Major Are Named Marshals

The Phi Beta Kappa Society announced the election of eight Juniors, 22 Seniors, and four Magna Cum Laude men to its roster last night. The appointment of Lenson Arnold Weissberger '27 of New York City to the position of First Marshall and George Thomas Major '27 of Easthampton to the Second Marshal's office completed the electoral activities of the honorary group for the fall.

A new basis for judging the eligibility of men for election was considered by the seven residential Seniors of the Society who did the voting this year. The tutorial reports of honor students not taking scientific courses were used to determine their character and general ability. Although high scholastic standing was, as usual, the most important factor for election, the reports qualified several men who would not have been considered scholastically eligible in previous years.

Because of a new ruling that all magna cum laude men are elected automatically to the Phi Beta Kappa group, four more men were taken on this year than have been accepted in the past. These specially elected honor men will not get their Phi Beta Kappa keys until the year in which they actually get their degree, regardless of the class with which they are affiliated.

The new ruling in regard to the magna cum laude men was put into effect because of the fact that comparatively few men are taken into the Phi Beta Kappa Society at Harvard although, the average, scholastic standing of the first 44 Seniors and the first group of Juniors is much higher at the University than at other colleges.

The elections for the Society took place last Monday but the results had to be approved by the Graduate Committee before they could be announced as final.

22 Seniors Named

The following 22 men were elected to the Society from the Senior class: Carl Oscar Emamiel Anderson, Prescott Niles Arnold, Dana Converse Backus, Thomas Senior Berry, Gordon Marsh Benedict, Melvin Irving Bernstein, Dwight Wesley Chapman, Jr., David Luther Dickson, Warren Fosket Fair, Stanley Turner Frame, Joseph Chamberlain Furnas, Allan Holske, John Denisor: Houghton, Judah Isaacs, Lester Snow King, Glenn Allen Millikan, Charles Platt Jr. John Robert Richardson, Robert Thornton Smith, Abraham Harold Swirske, Henry Franklin Williams and Charles Edward Wyzanski, Jr.

Eight members of the Junior class were approved as members of Phi Beta Kappa. These men were: Ernes; Theodore Berkeley, Alfred Louis Bletweiss, Edgar Malona Hoover, Jr. Carroll Henry Jones, Jr. Hyman Sobel Israel Solomon Stamm and Martin Tall.

The first four magna cum lande men to become members of the Phi Beta Kappa Society by automatic election were Maurice Irving Abrams '27 of Fine Pennsylvania, Bernard Bandler 2nd '27 of New York City. Philip Solomon '27 of St. Louis, Missouri, and Stuart Brown Summerville '27 of Hartford, Connecticut.

The President of the Harvard Chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society is Bishop William Lawrence '71. He will be toastmaster at the first banquet of the Society scheduled for December 8. At this dinner the golden keys symbolic of Phi Beta Kappa membership will be presented by President Lowell of the University.