TODAY IS DEADLINE OF ESSAY CONTEST

Dean of College Welcomes Student Interest -- Coach Lewis Hits at Present Situation

The University would like to know the opinions of the students on the food question," stated Dean C. N. Greenough '98 yesterday. "The CRIMSON essay contest affords an excellent means of finding these out. The College will consider the essays carefully, and if any practical, sane plan is proposed, the College will probably act upon it."

The CRIMSON essay contest closes at 8 o'clock tonight. The manuscripts submitted to the Contest Editor, 14 Plympton Street, will be judged by a committee consisting of W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics; E. L. Farrell, head coach of the University track team, J. W. D. Seymour '17, Secretary to the University for Information, and Dr. Alfred Worcester '78, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene.

$25 to the Winner

Cash prizes contributed jointly by the Student Council and the CRIMSON will be awarded to the authors of the three best essays. The awards will be $25 to the winner, $15 to the second man, and $10 to the third.

The essays may be from 500 to 1500 words in length. The winning manuscripts will be published as soon as possible after the close of the contest.

The following comment on the essay contest was made by W. H. Lewis, University Wrestling Coach:

Wrestling Mentor Comments

"Undergraduates at Harvard do eat irregularly and too rapidly. The only way to overcome this is by establishing a regular dining hall. Any plan to make this sort of establishment possible should be carefully considered.

W. L. Stone '26, Graduate Secretary of the Union declared yesterday:

"If the CRIMSON essay contest results in any specific constructive suggestion the Governing Board of the Union and the Comptroller-of the University. Mr. A. L. Endicott '94, will give their very serious consideration to such a suggestion as the administrative officers and the Governing Board are anxious to solve the dining question for the best interests of all concerned.

"If two or three solutions are advanced in the essays so as to present an issue, undoubtedly the Debating Union will consider the problem at its November 30th meeting or at a subsequent assembly."