NEW UNIVERSITY CLUB PLANS VOCATIONAL AID

LARY STATES STEPS IN SIGHT TO HELP COLLEGE STUDENT

Through its Committee on Education and Vocation the new University Club of Boston hopes to become a power in helping to the choice of his proper vocation the young man whose college training has been largely academic. At a meeting held last Thursday, at which the heads of 28 New England colleges were present, tentative plans for the work of this Committee in cooperation with the colleges were laid, according to S. C. Lary, permanent secretary of the Committee.

"At its inception the University Club stated its intention of becoming a servicable organization not only for the graduates who belonged to it, but to the host of undergraduates still in the colleges," Mr. Lary told a CRIMSON reporter. "The formation of the Committee on Education and Vocation was the result of this policy, and it is the vast body of undergraduates who are in doubt about their course of life after college that this committee is attempting to aid.

"With the cooperation of the heads of the 28 colleges in New England the committee proposes to insert into the curricula of the colleges vocational work of a sort that will enable the doubtful undergraduate to consider the various fields of vocational activity in the light of his own tastes and abilities, and thereby, guided by advice of men in the field which he prefers, make a wiser choice of a life-work than he might otherwise do. This establishment in the college curricula of vocational work must be very gradual, but the plan was proposed to the representatives of the colleges at the meeting of sub-committees representing the Club and the colleges will meet next month to consider the practical means of carrying out the plan. It is hoped that some definite results may be accomplished by the end of the present academic year.

"It is planned to hold frequent vocational lectures at the Club for the benefit of college men. The speakers at these lectures will be men prominent in the various fields of business and the professions.

"Sub-committees have been formed to secure information regarding conditions in locations where young college men might find vocational opportunities. This information will be published and sent to the colleges, where it will be used in planning the vocational work of the curricula. By this means first-hand knowledge of conditions existing in all fields may be brought home to the undergraduate, and influence him in making his final choice of his life-work.

Wish To Eliminate Waste

"The whole plan is to prevent waste of the individual. Too often does a young college graduate get into work for which he is totally unfitted, and in which he does not advance, but wastes the best years of his life, wondering why he does not get ahead in the race. It is to prevent such waste of time and energy, and to help the individual know himself, his abilities and limitations, and in the light of these find his proper place."

Any college student in doubt about his future in the business world may have an opportunity through the Committee of talking with men prominent and successful in the particular field to which he is drawn, Mr. Lary said. Men wishing such an opportunity should communicate with Mr. Lary at the University Club, Trinity Place.