DEBATING UNION TO DECIDE WAR GUILT

Meeting Set for Tuesday Night in Union--No Prepared Speeches to be Required.

At the third meeting of the Harvard Debating Union on Tuesday night in the Union the discussion will center around the question, "Resolved: That this house favors the revision of the Versailles treaty in respect to the war guilt of the Central powers," it was announced last night.

Professor Harry Elmer Barnes of the Historical Sociology department of Smith College will open the meeting at 7.45 o'clock with a speech supporting the affirmative side of the topic. Professor Barnes has written a book on this subject entitled "The Genesis of the World War" in which he attributes the blame for the late European conflict to Russia and France instead of Germany.

Book Creates Tempest

The publication of this book created a furore in diplomatic circles and provoked much criticism among writers and historians. It demonstrates forcibly, if somewhat indiscreetly, the Teutonic point of view concerning the political machinations in Europe prior to the assassination of the Austrian archduke at Sarajevo in 1914. Every public appearance of Professor Barnes hitherto has been attended by opponents as well as adherents of his historical treatise. It is anticipated that many people will welcome the opportunity to express their disapproval of Professor Barnes attitude toward the Allied policies.

The meeting will be held in the Living Rcom of the Union and will differ from previous conclaves in that there will be no prepared speeches. R. K. Straus '27 will act as chairman and will allow each speaker from the floor five minutes in which to delineate his arguments.

To Explain Versailles Pact

Professor Barnes will explain during the course of his talk the nature of the present Versailles treaty and the political issues influencing its composition.

Any desired information concerning the war quilt of the Central powers and the alleged fallacies of Professor Barnes book may be found in the communication column of last Sunday's Boston Herald.