Appreciation of Successful Class Football System Is Expressed by Sophomore--Praises "Game for Game's Sake"

The complete reorganization and rejuvenation of inter-class football at Harvard during the past fall has proved one of the most effective and successful steps in the University's policy of athletics for all. The hotly contested series of games between the three upper classes for the University title was culminated with the victory of the championship Junior eleven over the winning Yale class team.

The following letter in recognition of the work of the Athletic Association in establishing the game on a firm foundation was received by W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics from a member of the Sophomore class. November 23, 1926.

Mr. William Bingham,

Cambridge, Massachusetts,

Dear Mr. Bingham:

I write to tell you how I appreciated the new basis on which you have placed class football at Cambridge.

Under John Donovan '22, the Sophomore coach, and M. A. Cheek '26, the head coach. I spent one of the most pleasant football seasons of my life. Games and scrimmages were frequent, and everyone played. There was one short trip for each team.

In the personalities of the coaches, I think, lay the reason for this new success. Football became a game again, without the fear of cutting or the desire for advancement motivating every action. We played our best, but because we wanted to, not because we were tongue-lashed into it. And withal, the games were never other than hard fought, as you might have seen had you viewed, for instance, the final Junior-Sophomore struggle for the title.

On this squad there were at various times some seventy men who were benefited in a way they never have been before. I am sure I speak for all of them I thank you and the class team coaches for your excellent management of this scheme, and ask for its extension at least a week later next year.