CRIMSON CAPTURES INITIAL ICE TILT

Hamlen Scores Twice in Third Period Against Losers--Harvard Reserves Shine in Victory

The University hockey team, led by Captain W. P. Ellison '27, got away to a flying start towards another eastern college championship, when it extended its string of opening victories over M. I. T. with a 5 to 1 win last night on the Arena ice. The playing surface was in bad condition and the team play of both squads was ragged, but the Crimson was never in danger after the opening whistle. Hamlen, veteran for ward, led the scoring for the University with two tallies in the final period.

Sophomores Scintillate

A Harvard squad with the brightest prospect in years ahead of it for this season neither exceeded nor fell below expectations in its first appearance. The passing was far below the standard to be looked for in mid-season and the long range shooting inaccurate. The play of three of last year's championship Freshman skaters, Tudor, Crosby, and Stanley gave the Crimson supporters added cause to hope for a winning sextet. Zarakov, a flashy wing of two years' experience, also played a fast game. He was third substitute in the first period, was sent in second in the following session, and opened the final period on the ice.

First Period

Both teams started slowly. The passing was ragged and the forward lines had trouble in working down the ice. Hamlen, Harvard left wing, took the first free shot and missed after taking a pass from Gross. Harvard counted first when Gross took the puck from Chase in mid-ice and tallied with a long drive which caromed off Richards' foot into the Tech net The score was made after five minutes of play. Zarakov, flashy wing veteran, substituted for Hamlen and Clark was sent in at defense for Harvard. Scott replaced Chase soon after and Gross gave way to Durant.

Crosby, Tudor, and Stanley replaced the second string skaters. At 10.44 Tudor poked the second University tally into the strings after the Tech guardian had been drawn out of the cage stopping Clark's drive from the side. The teams were even for the remainder of the period.

Second Period

The Crimson starting lineup with the exception of Morrill who replaced, Adams at goal, took the ice at the start of the second period. The play became faston and the checking harder from the opening whistle in the second period.

Early in the period Duplin, M. I. T. right wing, who captained the Dartmouth sextet two years ago, sent a long fast drive at Morrill who made the stop with one hand. Crosby scored after six minutes of play unassisted after weaving his way through the defense for a close shot. Two minutes later Berkeley counted for the losers on a long drive.

Third Period

At 5.14 Hamlen sagged the Tech cage on a rebound shot after Chase's long dash down the ice. The Crimson forward found the Engineer's net shortly after when he took a pass from Chase and passed Richards with an angle snot. Howard had carried the rubber down the rink. With only a minute to play Ellison and Crendall collided and the tech defense man was forced to take time before continuing play. The following is the summary:

HARVARD  M. I. T.Gross, Duarte, Tudor l.w.  r.w., Fahey, Nock, CulinanChase, Scott c.  c., Crosby, MeadeHamlen, Crosby, Zarakov r.w.  l.w., Duplin, WhiteEllison, Stanley, Wylde l.d.  r.d., BerkeleyHoward, Clark, Wylde r.d.  l.d., Crandall, BurgessAdams, Morrill g.  g. Richard