Eliot Memorial Edition Will be Published on Wednesday

Crimson to Print Special Twenty Page Issue as Monument to Late President Emeritus--Many Notable Men Contribute Article

On Wednesday the CRIMSON will publish a special Charles William Eliot Memorial issue separate from the regular edition of the University daily. The memorial to the late President Emeritus of Harvard will take the form of a 20-page tabloid edition of approximately the same size as the CRIMSON Bookshelf, printed on heavy paper and replete with drawings and portraits relating to the life of the man it honors.

Since the death last summer of the great educator, the CRIMSON has been working on a monument to the man, who during his life long connection with the University did more than any other single individual to mold the destinies of Harvard. The work has been painstaking and complete and the CRIMSON is now ready to publish what it considers to be in a small way a memorial to the man it recognizes in this fashion. Some of the foremost educators of the country including among their number close personal friends of Charles William Eliot have contributed essays and tributes, and several editors of the CRIMSON have attempted to express undergraduate appreciation.

Among the most interesting and illuminating pages in the forthcoming issue will be the one containing hitherto unpublished letters exchanged between Eliot and Professor-Emeritus George Herbert Palmer '69, more than 35 years ago. The letters bringing out so clearly the human and personal side of the late President Emeritus were made accessible through the kindness of Dr. Palmer, Henry Wyman Holmes, '03 Dean of the Graduate School of Education, Albert Bushnell Hart '80, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, Paul Henry Hanus, Harvard's first professor of Education, Bishop William Lawrence '71, Byron, Satterlee Hurlbut '87, Professor of English, and Arthur Twining Hadley, former president of Yale University, have written essays for the Memorial issue. A reproduction of the Charles Hopkinson portrait presented to the University by the students of Harvard College on the occasion of Eliot's ninetieth birthday, March 20, 1924, and the drawing by Professor Arthur Pope '01 have been included along with many photographs. D. S. Gibbs '27, former Editorial Chairman of the CRIMSON, H. W. Foote Jr. '27, present Editorial Chairman, and F. V. Field '27 and J. F. Barnes '27, former and present Presidents of the CRIMSON are the undergraduate contributors to this edition.

The Memorial issue will make its first appearance. Wednesday morning and a large number of copies will be sent to New York City immediately for sale there. In Cambridge it will be on sale from Wednesday morning on and will not be distributed with regular copies of the CRIMSON.