SEVEN DEBATERS PICKED FOR UNIVERSITY TEAMS

LELAND STANFORD AND BATES ARE CRIMSON OPPONENTS

From a group of over 20 aspirants to places on the two University debating teams which will face Leland Stanford and Bates early in January, seven men have been selected by the debating coach G. G. Owen 3L.

The first of the two teams will be made up of E. H. Hubbard '30, F. W. Lorenzen '27, and E. M. Rowe '27. The members of the second team are: Brooks Otis '29, E. S. Scoll '28, Mark Winkler '28, and C. E. Wyzanski '27.

The question for the debate with the Pacific coast team and the one on which the candidates for the team spoke yesterday is Resolved: "That more is to be feared than hoped from science."

All those who have been retained on either of the two teams selected are expected to prepare 10 minute speeches on the affirmative of the topic for discussion with the speakers from Leland Stanford and Bates. The first practice session will be held on Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock in Harvard 6. Other meetings will be held at the same hour on Thursday and Monday.

The successful candidates will be expected to work over their speeches during the Christmas recess in order to be prepared for the three meetings on January 3, 4, and 5 respectively during which the team must round itself into the peak of its form for the debate which will be held on January 6.

The contest with Leland Stanford will be especially interesting because it is the first time that a Crimson debating team will meet with representatives of a far western college.

The forensic battle with Bates will also be a novel event, since it is to be in the nature of an exhibition. The contest will be held at Milton Academy about a week after the Harvard orators meet with the western speakers. The purpose of this exhibition is to revive interest in formal discussion among the prominent preparatory schools of this vicinity.

About a month after the Leland Stanford debate Harvard will enter the second and third rounds of the Eastern intercollegiate Debating League's Championships. Thus far, with two victories and no defeats, the University team stands in a fair way to retain the title it won last year.