BAKER CAPTURES SQUASH LAURELS

Team Leaves for Washington -- National Championship Play Starts Saturday--Must Defend Crown

M. P. Baker '22, former University star, will reign supreme for another year as Massachusetts state squash champion, following his victory over R. S. Wright '26, tanking Crimson player, on the Union Boat Club courts yesterday afternoon. Wright forced the defending champion in every game but the superb court game of the title holder coupled with his greater experience were enough to carry the winner through in four games, 15-12, 10-15, 18-16, 15-12.

Baker Repulses Attack

The final match of the State tournament, with the two hardest hitting players in the tournament opposing each other, brought out the best squash of the competition. The champion, who reached the top of his game last week after a slow start, matched power and speed with his younger opponent. In the last game with the veteran leading by a 10-2 margin, Wright made a desperate attempt to pull the match out of the fire by discarding his hard driving game and attacking Baker's weakness on high, slow lobs to the back hand. The Crimson number one man pulled up to even terms with the champion by this strategy but Baker finally solved this new style of offense and forged again into the lend to win the final game 15-12.

The loser flashed into brilliant form in the second game, which he won decisively and in the third contest, which the title holder captured only after a bitter deuce struggle. Wright fought stubbornly for every point in this game, making almost impossible gets on several occasions to save points.

With the exception of Assistant Manager L. H. Gordon '27, H. N. Rawlins '27, and P. M. Lenhart '27, who will leave tonight, the state championship University squad entrained for Washington, D. C. last night, to enter the national team championship tournament. Coach Harry Cowles, Captain G. D. Debevoise '26, R. S. Wright '26, L. S. Haskins '26, and T. T. Jansen '26 are the members of the team who left Cambridge last night and will arrive at the Racquet Club of Washington, D. C., this morning where the matches will be played. The Crimson racquet wielders will stay at the Racquet Club during the five days of the tournament.