CRIMSON RUNNERS MEET ALIEN STARS IN NEW YORK MEET

Watters Faces Country's Best Plus Hoff and Paulen in Middle Distance Run for Haughton Trophy

The University track team will be represented in two events at the Millrose A. A. indoor games in New York at the Madison Square Garden this evening when Miller and Burns toe the mark in the 40-yard dash, and Watters answers the gun in the Millrose 600-yard run.

The Millrose A. A. games are the outstanding feature of America's indoor season, and will attract a great field of stars from both this country and Europe. One German champion, one Dutch star, and two men from the Scandinavian countries are on the list of entries.

Sprint Mark Is In Danger

W. D. Eaton, who holds the record of four and two-fifths seconds for the forty-yard dash, will be on hand to watch the stars of today take a fling at his title. Miller and Burns will go into the preliminary heats with Murchison, often hailed as America's premier sprinter, Hussey a Freshman at Boston College, who startled track circles last year by his performances on the cinders while still a schoolboy, Leconey, a member of the Olympic team two years ago, Clark, formerly of Johns Hopkins, and intercollegiate 100-yard titleholder, and Houben, the German star.

Last Saturday at the K. of C. games Miller won from Hussey and Houben in the same event. That was Houben's first race in this country, and he has had four day's rest and training to prepare for the stiff competition tonight.

In the Millrose 600-yard run the Haughton trophy will be at stake, and may be carried beyond the seas this year, as two foreigners come to assault the American supremacy in this event. Hoff, world's pole vault record holder, and all-around Norwegian athlete, has decided to try his luck in the middle distance. He has been spending his training season at Dartmouth, getting into shape for the big meets. He is, besides, said to be an experienced ski-jumper, but did not go in for this sport while at Hanover because of the risk of injury.

Flying Dutchman Has Just Docked

Paulen, the Dutch middle-distance runner who is also entered with Watters in the 600 yards arrived last night on the steamer Olympic from the flat country, and will have little chance to whet his spikes before the race tonight. A brisk walk will probably be all the exercise he will get before the meet starts. As foreign stars in all lines of sport have taken several days to get acclimated before competing, it is doubtful whether Paulen will put on his best exhibition before his next meet.

Besides the foreigners, Watters will have formidable opposition in Helfrich, a former Intercollegiate titleholder, while at Penn State, and Captain Leness of M. I. T. Leness and Helfrich both reached the finish ahead of Haggerty in the 600-yard race at the K. of C. meet Saturday night.

The possibility that Captain Tibbetts would make the trip with Miller, Burns and Watters has been suggested, but Coach Farrell has seen it expedient to hold all but these three men absolutely fresh for the two-mile relay race against Yale, and the mile relay against M. I. T., Saturday night at the B. A. A. meet.