MILLER SECOND IN MILLROSE SPRINTS

Helffrich Wins-Followed by Gibson of Fordham and Three Invaders From Europe and Canada

New York City, February 4.-A. H. Miller '27, running in the medley dash events in the Millrose A. A. games in Madison Square Garden tonight against the world's most brilliant short distance men, was second to Loren Murchison, the Olympic star, and flashiest of flyers in the 40 and 60-yard events. In the Millrose 600 for the Haughton trophy J. N. Watters '26 failed to place, as did H. W. Burns '28 in the dashes.

In the 40 yard dash, Miller ran against Murchison, Houben, Hussey, and other stars of international fame. He had beaten Houben, who is the visiting German dash man, and Hussey, the youthful performer from Boston College at the K. of C. meet last Saturday. He finished ahead of both these men tonight, but Murchison was too good, as his time of four and three-fifths seconds indicates. He was unable, however, to better the world's record of four and two-fifths seconds established by W. D. Eaton, an old Amherst runner.

Houben and Hussey Trail

Houben finished third and Hussey followed him to the worsted. This was a reversal of the order in which the two came in last Saturday.

In the 60-yard affair the order was, the same as that of the shorter distance, except that Houben and Hussey changed places again. Miller once more placed second to Murchison, who this time came within one-tenth of a second of the world's best mark. His time was six and three-tenths seconds.

Helffrich Wins 600

In the Millrose 600, Watters faced a formidable field, which included three stars from other countries. Helfrich, the former Pann State flash, breasted the tape first in one minute, 12 and seven-tenths seconds, and 12 yards behind him followed Gibson of Holy Cross. Had Watters been able to place, he would have beaten the three invaders from Europe and Canada, who finished next in order. Hoff the versatile Norwegian, got third place followed by Paulin, the Netherlands representative and Christle of the University of Toronto Paulin's feat in getting fourth place 12 hours after stepping ashore from an ocean liner, aroused much favorable comment. He will be a serious threat to the leaders at the B. A. A. games Saturday night in the Boston Arena.

Besides winning third in the 600, Hoff created a new world's indoor record in the pole vault by leaping 13 feet and one inch. The former record, made by Nelson Sherrill of Pennsylvania in the 1925 Indoor Intercollegiate., was 13 feet.

The United States representatives managed to hold their own against the alien invaders, winning seven out of the nine international events which were scheduled.