FILENE, PEACE ADVOCATE, WILL SPEAK AT P. B. H.

HAS PLAYED PART OF EUROPEAN EDWARD BOX

On Wednesday, March 17, at 8 o'clock in the Phillips Brooks House Mr. Edward A. Filene, a prominent figure in international commerce, will speak on "American Business and World Peace."

Mr. Filene, who is well known as a merchant in the vicinity of Boston, has exerted considerable influence in promoting friendly business relations between the United States and foreign countries, and has been greatly interested in international affairs of a more general nature. He has been a firm and constant believer in the necessity of American participation in European affairs. He believes that a policy of continued isolation cannot be maintained and that the United States must directly share in the difficult work of political and economic reconstruction. He believes that the United States must cooperate with the other nations of the world in solving their common problems.

In 1924 he organized in several European countries the European Peace Award Competitions which were similar to the Bok Peace Prize Contest in this country. These peace competitions were held in Great Britain, France, Germany, and Italy.