CRUISING CROWNS

Announcement of the contemplated air voyage of the rulers of Spain caused a certain fluctuation in the stock of publicity corporations less elevated in the European peerage. And now these rather eccentric and certainly modern royalists add to this further statement that Philadelphia, city of police retirements and national bons mots, is to have them for guests in the month of August fit date for such a visit.

That the Prince of Wales will suffer eclipse is fairly incredible. Yet surely he will have to return soon to keep his laurels in press. For America, being thoroughly republican,, occasionally likes "the boast of heraldry, the pomp of power." Yet even greater significance attaches to this voyage of crowned heads than any transitory adumbration of the British heir. Cruising crowns are more than a novelty in the western hemisphere--they are a threat. For the whole union will have no better king than Alphonoso and America rather scruples at foreign superiority--even in crowns. The immigration officials must ask them to leave their sceptres at the customs house--or chagrin will reign in democratic hearts.