POUND TO DISCUSS LAW AND RELIGION TOMORROW

CONSIDER CHURCH INTERFERENCE IN POLITICS

Dean Roscoe Pound, of the Harvard Law School, will give a talk on "Law, Politics, and Religion" at 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon in the Phillips Brooks House. Dean Pound will discuss at length the relations of the church and the state, and the possibilities and place of religion in the practice of law. The questions of church interference in political affairs, the church's influence in securing or preventing legislation, and judicial pressure, both civil and criminal, exerted by ecclesiastical power, will be fully considered.

Dean Since 1916

Dean Pound, who is one of the greatest authorities in this country on Law in all is phases, came to Harvard in 1913 as a Professor of Jurisprudence, and in 1916 was made Dean of the Law School. He holds the honorary degree of LL.D. from the University of Michigan, the University of Nebraska, the University of Missouri, the University of Chicago, Brown University and Harvard University. He has written a great deal on law and related subjects; among his best known works are "Readings on Roman Law", "The Spirit of the Common Law", "Philosophy of Freemasonry", and "Law and Morals."

Last fall Dean Pound was appointed by President Coolidge to sit on the Anglo-American Board of Arbitration. He was highly instrumental in bringing about peaceful settlements of the many vexatious questions and disputes which were brought before the board. After serving for three months in Wishington in this capacity he returned to Cambridge to resume his duties in the Law School.

His Hobby is Botany

In addition to being an authority on law and justice, Dean Pound is a botanist of note. He was Director of the Botanical Survey of Nebraska from 1892 to 1903, and later a member of the Associe libre de l'Academie Internationale de Geographic Betanique. It is a tribute to the tremendous energy and wide interests of Dean Pound that he has been able to make important advances in this field while carrying on his teaching and study of law.

The meeeting tomorrow afternoon will be open to all members of the University, and an opportunity to have written questions answered will be afforded.