WRIGHT DEFEATS HASKINS IN STRAIGHT GAMES TO WIN HARVARD SQUASH CROWN

Wright Leads Debevoise and Rawlins in Cowles Ranking of Ten Best Crimson Players

R. S. Wright '26 captured the University squash racquet championship yesterday when he defeated L. S. Haskins '26 in straight games 15 to 12, 16 to 14, and 15 o 11, in the finals of the University championship tourney. this match proved to be one of the fastest that has been played on the University squash courts this season.

The first game started fast with Haskins jumping off to a quick lead. A few minutes of play found him leading Wright by a 10 to 5 score. Wright, however, steadied as the game progressed and soon overcome the 5-point margin of his opponent. After a great deal of lengthy volleying, Wright forged to the front, and finally took the game.

After this, the champion was never in any serious difficulties, although on several occasions Haskins took the lead. The loser exhibited a faster and more brilliant game than he has shown all season. Both men covered the court well, but Haskins displayed more ability in spectacular shots.

The game was marked with innumerable long volleys which were caused by the entirely different style of playing which each man employed. Wright resorted to his well-known slashing drives, while Haskins used some very effective drop-shots.

Weight who won the college championship last fall, was given first ranking among Crimson squash players by virtue of yesterday's victory.

Coach Harry Cowles has announced this year's final University ranking. It is in the following order: R. S. Wright '26, H. N. Rawlins '27, G. D. Debevoise '26, E. M. Upjohn '25, P. M. Lenhart '27, L. S. Haskins '26, G. D. Du Bois 2L, T. E. Jansen Jr. '26, J. L. Pool '28, H. B. Jackson '27.

Coach Harry Cowles will not have a great deal of experienced material from which to chose next season's squash team but he has a wealth of Freshman material coming up. Captain Debevoise's younger brother bids fair to rival the figure that his older brother has been cutting in squash circles for the past three years.

Captain-elect P. M. Lenhart '27, who is fifth ranking player in the University, is likely to bud out into one of the best players in years. H. N. Rawlins '27 however, will probably set the pace for next year's team. He and Lenhart must show exceptional form next year in order to continue the unbroken string of victories which has been the record of the University team for the past three years.