Council Creates Committee on Relations With Schools

Aim is to Establish Liaison With Preparatory Schools -- Will Explain College Life

A new committee to be known as the Committee on Relations with Schools, has recently been created by the Student Council. E. B. Jackson '28 has been appointed chairman, and W. N. Bump '28 has been appointed to the position of sub-chairman. Further appointments will be made by the Committee at a later date.

The functions of this committee may be divided under three heads, all of which deal with some aspect of the problem of the relation of Harvard to the various preparatory schools which are in any way connected with the University. In the first place, the committee will take upon itself the responsibility of properly receiving and welcoming the teams sent from the schools which play against the Freshman teams in any field or department of athletics. The student council has long felt that the College has been rather remiss in this capacity and that in past it has neglected to extend to visiting preparatory schools the courtesy which is their due.

Bingham To Assist Committee

Mr. W. J. Bingham '16, newly appointed director of athletics at the University, will assist the Committee with this branch of its work. In all matters which have to do with teams visiting from schools, the Committee will act in connection with his office.

The second function of the Committee on Relations with Schools will be to see to it that a school is notified when one of its graduates achieves some honor or distinction at the University. This work has hitherto been carried on by the CRIMSON News Letter department and the man at the head of this department will become a member of the committee.

Seeks To Establish Liaison

The third function is perhaps the most important of all and will occupy most of the attention of the Committee. M. A. Cheek '26 Chairman of the Student Council, when asked about the details of the Work of this new department made the following statement.

"The purpose of the Committee is, in its essence, to establish a liaison between Harvard and the various schools from which the College draws its support. It has been a feeling long existing in the University, that there ought to be some means of systematizing the relations of the College and the men who have decided upon coming to Harvard with the purpose of insuring the fulfillment of the obligations which the University owes to these men as prospective members."

Since the personel of the Committee on Relations with Schools will change each year it is hoped by the Student Council that Mr. Henry Pennypacker '88 and Mr. J. W. D. Seymour '17 will act as advisers to keep the activities of the Committee united.

"It has long been realized that men at school know too little of what college life in general means, and therefore when after graduating from school they enter the Freshman class of a university comparatively much larger most of them feel lost and confused until they have, as it were, become aclimated. Harvard clubs are established in many schools largely with the view of remedying this difficulty by obtaining speakers from the College to explain to the men who are about to enter the University, just what college life means; what are its difficulties and how best to meet them.