UNIVERSITY SWORDSMEN WIN BY CLOSE MARGIN FROM M. I. T.

To Meet Yale and Dartmouth Fencers in Final Matches Today

The University fencing team defeated M. I. T. last night by a 7 to 6 score in the first meet of the intercollegiate semi finals. The University foilsmen triumphed in their bouts 5 to 4, while the epee contest resulted in a 3 to 2 tie. The outstanding performers on the two teams were Captain Carrillo of Harvard and Levis of M. I. T.

This was the first meet of the present series to determine which teams shall represent New England in the intercollegiate tournament, which is to be held in New York on April 1 and 2. This afternoon at 2.30 o'clock, in the B. A. A. Gymnasium on Exeter Street, the University will meet Yale, and at 8 o'clock tonight will face Dartmouth. In the afternoon Dartmouth will oppose M. I. T., and tonight the Engineers will clash with the Blue. In addition to being part of the intercollegiate series the Harvard-Yale meet tomorrow will count as the annual meeting between the two universities. Both teams are considered very strong, having lost only to Columbia in collegiate ranks, and are expected to furnish a close contest.

The Harvard M. I. T. line-ups last night were as follows Foils, Harvard, Howard Finney '26, A. R. Allen '26, and Captain A. G. Carrillo '26; M. I. T., Levis. Ferre, and Hawthorne; epees, Harvard, R. P. Outerbridge '28 and J. F. Davidson '27; M. I. T. Levis and Captain Cole.