DRAMATISTS PICK BROWN AT HARVARD FOR SPRING FARCE

Play by Radcliffe Graduate Had Good Run in New York--Actors Driven From Stage in Boston by Students

"Brown at Harvard" is the play picked by the Dramatic Club for its annual spring production. This fact was announced last night by Mr. H. W. L. Dana '03, in his speech at the open meeting of the Dramatic Club.

"Although it has been the policy of the Dramatic Club since the war to give plays from foreign countries which had never been produced in America before, the Executive Committee of the Club has decided to make a temporary deviation from this policy," said Mr. Dana, who has been a close follower of the Dramatic Club's work, and instrumental in its choice of plays for several years. "This year they are going to try a revival, the widely known "Brown at Harvard," which created such a furor at the time of its first production, twenty years ago. This play, which was written by a Radcliffe graduate, Mrs. Ryder Young, enjoyed a successful run in New York and other cities for over a year. It was given at both Yale and Princeton with great success. Finally it came to Boston, where a special Harvard first night was arranged."

Actors Driven From Stage

Mr. Dana went on to describe at great length the riot of the first night, during which the actors were driven from the stage by the students who disapproved of the play's representation of Harvard life. He also read several selections from the play itself which showed its satirization of Harvard men and customs. The play is broad and farcical in its tone and offers great possibilities to its present producers for parody on current Harvard life, as well as on the life of the much discussed "gay nineties."

Plan Filming Play

Interest in "Brown at Harvard" was revived last winter when plans for filming the play were discussed, and it was decided to produce a movie version of it which should be more faithfully representative of true Harvard life.

President Johnston Speaks

After Mr. Dana's speech, C. H. Johnston '27, President of the Club, gave a brief outline of the various departments and introduced the departmental heads who outlined the work for this spring.

E. H. Dewey '26 said that preliminary try outs for the acting parts would be held in the Club's rooms at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon. Books have been placed in Leavitt & Peirce for candidates to sign up in. Candidates will read parts for two minutes each. An excelent opportunity is offered this spring to all aspiring actors, since the cast of "Brown at Harvard" is unusually large. E. W. Gross '27 and Edward Baur '27 explained the work in the business and stage departments. Publicity work in the former, which includes writing articles for newspapers and interviewing people prominent in the dramatic world, offers a wide scope for the ingenuity of candidates. The costuming and properties divisions of the stage department will be of particular interest in connection with this play because of the importance that the details of property and costume will have in creating the necessary atmosphere. A general meeting for business and stage candidates will be held in the Club's rooms on Mt. Auburn street at 1.05 o'clock today. The competitions are open to all members of the College, whether they attended the meeting last night or not.