BUSINESS MEN NOT READY FOR NEW SOCIAL DUTIES

BEWILDERED BY CONFLICT OF SCIENCE AND RELIGION

"Social obligations are falling upon the shoulders of the modern day business man," was the keynote of the lecture delivered by Dean W. B. Donham '98 of the Business School yesterday afternoon in Phillips Brooks House on "Business and Religion."

"The progress of science has weakened the strength of religion because the people are viewing life scientifically instead of philosophically.

"The amazing current of creative thinking by the scientific groups has placed obligations on other social groups which were never placed upon them before. Science and religion are beginning to conflict, and a reestablishment is necessary which will lead to more sensible philosophy.

"The fact that social obligations are beginning to rest upon the business man is deplorable, for the business group is unable, as yet, to cope with the social responsibility which this shift of position necessitates. This group is able to place a check upon the new scientific tendency of mind, if it so desires.

Service and Sacrifice

"The social value of religion seems to lie in the affirmative interest it gives in others and its relative freedom from covetousness. Herein lies its connection with business.

"Do Rotary Clubs and other social organizations of a like nature make men more sensible of their social obligations? I think so, for it has long been essential that we break down the widespread belief that one's own business is foreign and unconnected to other business enterprises. It is a matter of social significance that this view of business is gradually losing force.

"It is necessary that business students realize the significance of the business man's social obligations. When they do, fear for the future of religion will be entirely unfounded."