UNIVERSITY NAMES THIRTEEN TO POSTS ON TEACHING STAFF

Announce Conferring of 205 Mid-Year Degrees--Distinction Granted to 15 of Graduating Class

Another step in the gradual process of increasing the importance played by the tutorial system in the University scholastic system was taken recently with the appointment to assistant professorships of 13 instructors and students, most of whose work has been in tutoring. Of the newly appointed assistant professors four have never taught in the University before.

In the Philosophy Department Dr. Raphael Demos and Dr. Ralph M. Eaton, who have been instructors at the University since 1919, have been appointed assistant professors. Both men have served as tutors in addition to their classroom work.

Edward Ballantine '07, whose work in the Music Department of the University has been supplemented by the composition of orchestral suites and pieces which have been played several times at the Boston Symphony Concerts, will continue his work as an assistant professor.

The appointments to the some rank of Mr. Alfred Burkhard and Mr. A. L. T. Starck have been announced in the German Department. Both men have been German instructors in the University since 1920.

Mr. T. F. T. Plucknett, who has taught legal history in the University since 1923 has been named assistant professor. In 1921-1922 Mr. Plucknett was Joseph H. Choate Memorial Fellow in the University.

Mr. R. L. Buell, who has been a tutor in the University since 1922, and instructor since 1923, has been appointed assistant professor of government.

An Oxford graduate of 1920, Mr. L. R. Miller who came to Cambridge as instructor and tutor in 1921, has been named assistant professor of history.

Mr. H. C. M. Morse, who was Benjamin Pierce Instructor in Mathematics in 1919-1920, has been made assistant professor in the Mathematics Department.

Midyear Record Exceeded

That Harvard University has granted 205 degrees in its annual mid year award, or 15 more than were conferred in February, 1925, was announced by the University today. Twelve degrees with distinction were conferred.

The Law School has added to its staff Mr. J. McC. Landis, who graduated from the Law School cum laude in 1924 and who was awarded the Fay Diploma, the highest scholastic honor the school can give. Mr. Landis has been named assistant professor of law.

Professor Joshua Whatmongh, whose duties in Latin have brought him distinction in England and in Cairo, where he is now teaching, will come to the University as assistant professor of comparative philology, in September.

Dr. W. Y. Elliott has been appointed assistant professor in government. Dr. Elliott was Dean of Men at the University of California in 1924-1925.

Mr. R. G. Walker, for the last two years professor of accounting at the University of Iowa, has been appointed assistant professor of accounting in the Graduate School of Business Administration.