REVEAL IDENTITY OF SECRET COACH OF DRAMATIC CLUB

Is Actor and Manager With Experience of Many Years on Stage--Was Founder of Princeton "Theatre Intime"

The selection of R. N. Lawrence as coach of the Dramatic Club's spring production, "Brown of Harvard," was made public last night. Although the tentative cast of the play has been holding rehearsals for two weeks under Mr. Lawrence's direction, the rehearsals have been behind closed doors and it was not generally known until yesterday who had been chosen as director.

Mr. Lawrence, who came to Cambridge several weeks ago as the coach of the play which was then under consideration, was graduated from Princeton in the class of 1921. In spite of his youth he had a varied career in connection with the stage, having served in the capacity of actor, director, and scenery designer.

Was Member of Triangle Club

As an undergraduate at Princeton he was a member of the Triangle Club and for three years took leading parts in the productions of that organization. He also worked in the capacity of director of the club.

His greatest contribution to aromatize at Princeton, however, was the founding and directing of the Theatre Intime.

After, his graduation from Princeton Mr. Lawrence spent a year at the Rice Institute in Houston, Texas, where he directed several dramatic productions.

Has Acted and Directed

Since that time he has been connected with the Triangle Society in New York City as an actor, and with the Boston Stage Society. With the latter he has been both acting and directing in the plays which are given at the "Barn" on Joy Street. He is also working at present on the scenery which is to be used in the production of "The Merchant of Venice" at Boston University.

For some time in 1921 and 1922 Mr. Lawrence worked with Edwin Massey '16 former director of Harvard Dramatic Club productions, in Gloucester at the Gallery on the Moors.

Tells Period of Play

Commenting on "Brown of Harvard," Mr. Lawrence said yesterday, "The action of 'Brown of Harvard' comes at a period which has been very little written about in the last few years and which has yet had no dramatic revival. People seem inclined to confuse it with the gay and reckless nineties, which have been in so much prominence lately, although it was written a decade after the close of this period."

Commends Choice of Club

Mr. Lawrence also commended the courage of the Dramatic Club in choosing a play about its own college, and a play, he declared, which is not entirely complimentary.

With the opening night set for May 11 there is less than three weeks for the Dramatic Club to complete its preparations for the initial performance. Work has been progressing rapidly in all departments, and the cast, which is practically chosen, will be definitely announced later in the week.