Disagresement

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The analysis of the department of English as a field of concentration, printed in a recent issue of the CRIMSON seems to belie the picture that should be conveyed to the innocent mind of the "Rookie". It may be the impression of many men supposedly typical of those in the field, but I think that it fails to enlighten the freshmen as to the facts. This criticism is not diverted to the so-called "professional" who enters the field in the hope of attaining a knowledge of English literature that would qualify him for the higher degrees. The amateur is the man who should take heed, else the English department shall be filled to overflowing within a year, and will assert its supremacy over the field of Economics. The grievances of the deceived amateur will need airing; it will be learned that instead of the Saturday Post for tutorial reading, he will be obliged to read Bacon's "Novum Organum" or write on the Restoration Drama. As an upperclassman he will arouse from his dilemma; and his convictions will attest that native ability is foreign as an aid in meeting the requirements of the "Generals". Sumner Moskovitz '27.