INVASION AVERTED

Integration, the end toward which the economic world is drifting, is geographically desirable in the University. That Harvard should lose itself in the flotsam and jetsam of commercial Cambridge would be a misfortune, although not an educational calamity. Some time ago, a plan was formulated to provide for the growth of the University, a plan to preserve as a physical entity the strip of territory between the business school domain on the Charles River and the graduate dominions beyond Memorial Hall.

Since this land is not wholly in the control of the College, opportunity has presented itself to establish profane hotels instead of placid dormitories, or dilatory movies in place of industrious squash courts. For defeating the latest attempt to invade the precincts marked off by their position for University use, gratitude is due to Mr. C. C. Stillman '98. He has given two important tracts, situated in the region reserved for undergraduate clubs and dormitories.

With this gift, the University now controls directly or indirectly all but a few sections between the Yard and the river. Geographically, if not architecturally, Harvard is assured of unity.