Trackmen Outrun the Big Green While Ball Team Loses to Penn

Pinch Hitters Fail to Connect in Ninth Inning Rally--Freshmen Beat Dartmouth

The Crimson athletic teams turned in a perfect day against Dartmouth last Saturday, when the powerful University track squad piled up a commanding lead in the running events to win 83 1-4 to 51 3-4 in the annual dual meeting with the Green athletes and the Hanover first-year baseball team lost a 10 to 4 verdict to the Freshman nine. At the same time the Crimson lacrosse team downed the Hanoverians. In the remainder of the baseball program Pennsylvania retaliated for last week's defeat at the hands of the University diamond squad by squeezing out a tight 2 to 1 victory against the pitching of Puffer, and the University Second team took the measure of Cushing Academy by an 11 to 7 count.

Crimson Breaks Four Records

The track team led by Captain W. I. Tibbetts '26 established its claim to a position as one of the most dangerous dual meet squads in the country by cracking four of the meet records out of the six which fell during the afternoon and doubling the margin of victory which was run up last year. The record breaking performances were the more remarkable considering the cold rain which fell intermittently, slowing up the track and handicapping the men in the field events. The Dartmouth team outscored the University in only five of the 15 events.

A. H. Miller '27 lived up to expectations and succeeded in lopping a fifth of a second from his own record in the 100 yard dash, when he led Glendenning to the tape by four feet in an even ten second performance. The Dartmouth flyer, who was expected to challenge Miller again in the furlong race pulled a tendon in the broad jump and was unable to compete. Miller, because of this, was dropped out of the 220 yard final. F. P. Kane '20 returned a double winner and a record smasher, in two beautiful races. He established a new quarter mile mark of 40 seconds and came back in his second race to nip Wells, the speedy Dartmouth hurdler, as the finish of the 220 yard low hurdles for first honors in 25 seconds. Captain Tibbetts ran away from the field in the two mile run with E. C. Haggerty '27 chasing him all the way to the tape, to smash his own record by one and a fifth seconds. His time was 9 minutes 42 3-5 seconds. The other Harvard mark maker was C. A. Pratt '28, who sailed the discus 135 feet, nearly 10 feet better than the old record. Covert of Dartmouth beat the old javelin record by better than ten feet, and Moody added an inch to the high jump mark.

Ball Team Outhits Opponents

Despite the fact that the Crimson beaters outhit Pennsylvania on Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon, the viskors evened the series count with a 2 to 1 win. Puffer, the University pitching veteran, and Sanford, who took up the mound duties for the Red and Blue squad where Long and Kruez left off, engaged in a hurling duel all the way. The University pitcher held the winners to three hits while the Crimson attack was collecting four safe blows. Both pinchers were handicapped by the wet ball and slippery footing on the mound, but the rival hitters were even more seriously held down by the poor light which made it difficult to watch the fast breaking curves offered by both pitchers.

Trailing by two runs in the eighth, the University offense made a strong bid for victory in both of the last two innings, but could not furnish the necessary drive in the final frame, when Sanford struck out two pinch hitters in succession with men on bases. In the eighth inning Jones walked, went to second on Zarakov's single, and scored when Captain Todd marked up his second hit of the day on a hard drive through the Pennsylvania infield. The University third sacker was caught at third, however, when he tried to advance two bases on the Crimson leader's single. He was tagged out when the Pennsylvania right fielder made a beautiful throw in on Todd's hit. In the last inning Chauncey was safe at first on an error, but neither Ellison nor Amsden, two left handed hitters who were sent to the plate by Coach Mitchell in a desperate attempt to tie the score, were able to connect safely.

In the Freshman game, Ketchum scored his fifth victory of the season, allowing the Dartmouth Freshmen nine hits and winning by a 10 to 4 score. Crotily, the Crimson center fielder, was the hitting star with three safe blows in five attempts. One of them was a home run which scored three men ahead of him.

The following is the summary of the University game:

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Burns c.f.  2  0  0  5  0  0Jones r.f.  4  1  1  2  0  0Zarakov 3b.  4  0  1  2  1  0Todd l.f.  3  0  2  4  0  0Tobin 1b.  2  0  0  7  2  0Chauncey c.  4  0  0  4  0  0Ullman 2b.  2  0  0  1  0  0Sullivan s.s.  3  0  0  2  2  2Puffer p.  3  0  0  0  2  0*Slayton  0  0  0  0  0  0*Ellison  1  0  0  0  0  0*Amsden  1  0  0  0  0  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals  29  1  4  27  7