Coast Stars Scintillate as 50th Intercollegiate Meet Opens

Champions Place Most Men for Today's Events--Yale and California Follow Trojans

In the elimination process of the 50th annual I. C. A. A. A. A. track meet held in the Stadium yesterday afternoon, the championship University of Southern California squad strengthened its chances to repeat in the finals this afternoon by qualifying 12 men, two more than either Yale or California, who are intrenched in second position. Houser, the brilliant weight man and leader of the Trojans, more than lived up to expectations by shattering both the shot put and discus marks in his qualifying efforts. Stanford and Georgetown each placed nine athletes in the semi-final and final events scheduled to start at 3 o clock this afternoon, and Harvard trailed on their heels with eight men qualified in the 13 events of the afternoon. The preliminaries were run off under favorable conditions, with a fast track and little wind, and the brilliant field of athletes turned in series of high trial marks.

Dye Does 15 Flat in Hurdles

The opening heats of the afternoon were the 120 yard high hurdles. Dye, present title holder from U. S. C., fairly flew away from the field in the first race to win in 15 seconds flat. The Trojan hurdler is a heavy favorite to retain his title after yesterday's performance. Munphy of Boston College captured the other qualifying berth in the first heat. In the second trial, Ragan of California took a close decision from Wolf, the Pennsylvania high stick artist. The Southern California high hurdlers had a perfect day, two of them taking first places and the third finishing second to Wells of Dartmouth, who led the way in the third heat. Moore of Penn State won the last race in handy fashion, and West of Stanford and Haas, the Georgetown captain, progressed to the finals with second honors. The high obstacle event should bring about some of the closest competition of the meet this afternoon, and on a fast track Dye is due to threaten the mark set by Earl Thompson six years ago. The Crimson entries, Ballantyne and Clarke, were completely shut out in the trials.

Dash Trials Follow, Hurdles

Immediately following the hurdle eliminations, the starter called the sprinters to the starting line for the 100 yard dash trials. The outstanding performance in the century competition was the performance of Captain Norton of Yale, who breezed home in the first heat to win over McCall of Dartmouth and Smith of the title holders. The Eli leader was clocked in 9 8-10 seconds, the fastest mark turned in during the afternoon. The second race was the closest in this event and was captured by Charles of Colgate after a stiff brush in the last ten yards with Barber. California captain. Miller, the University hope in the short dash, won without extending himself in the third heat with a mark of 9 9-10 seconds, the same as turned in by Hussey of Boston College and Russell, the Ithaca leader, in the succeeding two preliminaries. Lundell, the second Harvard sprinter, ran a hard race to take third in the second heat in 10 1-5 seconds and qualify for today's contests. This afternoon's century is expected to be a fight all the way to the tape with Miller, Norton, and Russell possessing a slight edge. The complete reversal of form exhibited by the Bulldog star was one of the features of the first day's competition. Russell ran well within himself and appears dangerous, while Hussey can always be counted on for a place among the leaders. With this sort of competition Miller should run the greatest race of his career, and is expected by many to show his heels to the pack.

Watters Wins 880 Heat Handily

In the half mile, which promises to be the most bitterly fought struggle this afternoon, Watters of Harvard, Leness of M. I. T., and Martin of Dartmouth broke the tape in their respective qualifying heats. The Crimson star came out of the ruck on the home stretch to win handily in 1 minute 56 7-10 seconds just ahead of the fast coming Sober of City College of New York, and Boyden, Golden Bear half miler. In the second race, the Tech leader, Leness, won in slightly better time over McCloskey of Boston College and Richardson of Stanford. The Cardinal flash who is expected to fight it cut with Watters for the supremacy this afternoon saved himself and finished third without difficulty. In the third trial Martin, Green half miler, was out in front all the way and crossed the line with a large lead over Swinburne of Georgetown and Campbell of Columbia. After the preliminaries the judges decided to start Graning of Colgate, Leeming of Princeton, and Rogers of Pennsylvania, who finished fourth in the three heats, in the second row in today's finals. Watters and Richardson are rated as the two greatest half milers in the country today and both are in top form this spring.

The thriller in the quarter mile series came when Paulsen, Yale star, who was nosed out by Kane last Saturday, romped home ahead of a fast field in the third heat to win in 48 8-10 seconds. The Blue flash came to the fore in the last 25 yards and was pushed all the way to the tape by Cooke of Syracuse and Burgess of Georgetown. Miller of Stanford won the second heat and Ascher, veteran Georgetown runner showed the way in the final brush.

Grumbles, Trojan title holder in the low hurdles, was placed in the first heat and showed enough under wraps to mark him as the most dangerous man over the low sticks today. West of Stanford and Wolf of Pennsylvania staged a spirited struggle for first honors in the second heat which the judges called a tie. This race was run in 24 seconds flat, the fastest of the five trials. Moore of Penn State, Lawrence of Pennsylvania, Steinbrenner of M. I. T. all finished in the van in the remaining races.

Russell in Form in 220

The furlong trials were won by Russell, Miller, House of U. S. C., Barber, and Charles of Colgate, another double winner. The Cornell flyer lived up to his reputation as last year's champion by turning in the best time, 21 7-10 seconds, without a close follower. Russell is at his best over the 220 yard distance and runs beautifully at the finish. Lun dell forced Barber to the finish line in the second heat to take second place by inches.

The first I.C.A.A.A.A. record to fall was the shot put mark, which Houser the Southern California phenomenon shattered with ease. His heave of 49ft, 11 3-4 in, bettered the old mark of 49 feet 9 5-8 inches set by Ralph Hills of Princeton at Philadelphia last spring. Gerkin of California placed second, Hoffman of the Stanford Cardinals was third, Alekski another Trojan took fourth, and Pratt, the Crimson weight tosser captured the last qualifying place.

The University of Southern California heavyweight broke his second record of the day, this time his own, when he tossed the discus 151 feet 3 3-8 inches. Gerkin and Hoffman finished close behind him in the platter sailing even. In the pole vault Barnes, Olympic and Association champion, was the cynosure of all eyes in the Stadium but he was content to qualify along with four others at the 12 foot mark.

A new champion in the broad jump is due to be crowned today since Norton, last year's winner, did not qualify yesterday. The Eli star took two trial jumps and then was called to the starting line for the 220 and did not complete his quota of attempts. Mathias of Penn State was the winner with a leap of over 23 feet.

In the high jump the rangy pair of Cardinal athletes, King and Work tied for the first two places with a mark of 6 feet 2 1-4 inches. Hampton of California, Norton of Georgetown, and Coggeshall of U. S. C. captured the remaining three places with slightly lower marks. In the hammer throw, Biggs of Syracuse turned in the longest heave, followed by Taylor of Pennsylvania and Ide of Penn State.

The following qualified for the finals:

120 Yard High Hurdles

Dye (U. S. C.), Ragan (California), Wells (D), Reynolds (U. S. C.), Moore (Penn State), Murphy (Boston College) Wolf (Penn), Stever (U. S. C.), West (Stan.), Haas (Georgetown).

100 Yard Dash

Norton (Yale), Miller (Harvard), Charles (Colgate), Hussey (Boston College), Russell (Cornell), Barber (Cal.), McCall (D), Filkins (Penn State), Scull (Penn), Clark (Yale), Smith (U. S. C.), Lundell (Harvard), Rockwell (Princeton).

880 Yard Run

Watters (Harvard), Leness (M. I. T.), Martin (D), Sober (C. C. N. Y.), McCloskey (Boston College), Swinburne (Georgetown). Boyden (California), Richardson (Stan.), Campbell (Columbia). The following men placed fourth in their heats and will start in the second row: Graning (Colgate), Leeming (Princeton), Rogers (Pennsylvania).

440 Yard Run

Kane (Harvard), Miller (Stan.), Paulson (Yale). Ascher (Georgetown), Proudlook (Syracuse), Burns (H. C.), Cooke (Syracuse), McDonald (Penn), Burgess (Georgetown).

220 Yard Low Hurdles

Grumble (U. S. C.), Moore (Penn State), West (Stan), Wolf (Penn), Lawrence (Princeton), Steinbrenner (M. I. T), Bullard (Yale), Enos (Cal), Hase (Georgetown), Cole (Yale).

220 Yard Dash

Russell (Cornell), Miller (Harvard), Barber (Cal), House (U. S. C.), Charles (Colgate), Clark (Yale), Norton (Yale), McCall (D), Lundell (Harvard), Torrence (Penn State), Scull (Penn), Rock-well (Princeton).

Shot Put

Houser (U. S. C.), Gerken (Cal), Hoffman (Stan), Alekski (U. S. C.), Norton (Georgetown), Pratt (Harvard).

Javelin

Gibson (Princeton), Harlow (Stanford), Davison (Yale), Cook (U. S. C.), Covert (D), Fitzgerald (Cornell).

Pole Vault

Barnes (U. S. C.), Stirling (Cal), Reed (Cornell), Bradley (Princeton), Clark (Harvard), Carr (Yale), Durfee (Yale).

High Jump

King (Stan), Work (Stan), Norton (Georgetown), Coggeshall (U. S. C.), Hampton (Cal), Wright (Columbia), Larsen (Yale).

Broad Jump

Mathias (Penn State), Dowding (Georgetown), Reynolds (U. S. C.), McRae (Stan), Dikeman (Princeton), Bates (Penn State).

Hammer Throw

Biggs (Syracuse), Taylor (Penn), Ide (Penn State), Glantzberg (M. I. T.), Wenzel (Cornell), Gates (Princeton).

Discus Throw

Houser (U. S. C.), Gerkin (Cal), Baker (Swarthmore), Hoffman (Stan), Phillips (Cal), Norton (Georgetown)