YALE QUESTIONNAIRE REVEALS STATISTICS

But Majority of Undergraduates Answer--Questionnaire Used in Many Colleges Throughout Country

New Haven. June 9. The results of the questionnaire recently submitted to Yale students were made known in part today. Returns indicate the amount of time spent in studies, scholarship results, the income of parents and students and expenses while in college. The total cost of an average education at Yale was shown to be $6.790.

The report showed that Freshmen spend the least and that succeeding classes increase their expenditures. The average freshman cost was estimated at $1,284: sophomore, $1,656: junior, $1,832, and senior, $1,918.

Average Incomes High

The questionnaire revealed that 40 per cent of the families whose sons are at Yale have an income of between $10,000 and $50,000. 7 per cent having more than $50,000. Nearly 33 per cent, receive less than $5,000 a year, and less than 20 per cent of the families have an income of from $5,000 to $10,000 a year.

A study, of the relationship of the occupation of parents to their family income showed that professional representation was the highest in the intermediate group and lowest at both extremes, while with business incomes the reverse was true.

Best Students Study Least

The time reported as spent by the students in preparing classroom work ranged from two to fifty hours a week, with an average of 20.7 hours. The report gave an unexpected result when it disclosed that the students who spent the least time on their studies attained the highest standing. Figures revealed that the freshmen spend the most time on their lessons and that every succeeding class spends correspondingly less, with the seniors studying the least.

The average time spent by freshmen was shown as 23.3 hours, with an average in scholarship of 75.3 per cent. The sophomores spent 20.8 hours a week and averaged 76.4 in studies.

The juniors averaged only 19.5 hours in weekly study, with their standing at 78.3 per cent. The seniors study 18.3 hours a week, with their scholarship standing at 80.5 per cent.

More than 1,500 responses to the 2,800 forms sent out were returned. The replies were made optional, although most colleges have adopted the questionnaire to obtain vital information have made the response compulsory.