HARVARD ENTRANT WINS TIMES CONTEST

Contest to Be an Annual Fixture in American Colleges--Simpson of Virginia Receives Honorable Mention

Charles Edward Wyzanski Jr. '27 of Brookline won the grand prize in the New York Times' Current Events Contest in which the prize winners in 11 universities took part it was announced, here today by Colonel L. H. Holt of the Department of Economics and History of the United States Military Academy. Colonel Holt was a member of the committee which passed on the contestants' papers in the final examinations.

R. S. Simpson of Rosslyn, Va., a Junior at the University of Virginia, received honorable mention for the general excellence of his paper.

Contest to Be Annual Event

The examination in which Wyzanski was declared a winner was the final in the first of the New York Times' Current Events Contest, which will be an annual fixture in American colleges hereafter. Each of the contestants who took part won the prize of $250 and a gold medal in the local contest held in his university. Wyzanski carried off a gold medal, a preliminary prize of $250 and a final grand prize of $500.

In winning the contest in Cambridge Wyzanski defeated 27 competitors. Seven undergraduates were awarded honorable mention.

The 11 contestants in the final examinations of the contest took their examinations on May 15. The questions were determined by the Executive Committee in charge of the contest. The committee comprised Dean H. E. Hawkes of Columbia, Chairman; Colonel Holt and Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 of the Department of History, Government and Economics in the University.

Eleven Universities Entered

The local faculty committee gave each examination, and forwarded each paper to the Executive Committee. The judges who passed on the merits of the competitors were Professor A. B. Hart '80, Professor J. P. S. Tatlock '96, and Mr. R. L. O'Brien '91, editor of the Boston Herald.

The test was designed to bring from the student not merely knowledge of what is going on in the world from day to day as disclosed in the newspapers but also his understanding of the significance and the connection of these events as material of history in the making.

The universities which were entered in the contest were Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, West Point, Annapolis, University of Michigan. University of Chicago, University of Virginia, and University of Pennsylvania.