SHOESTRING WIN OVER BROWN EKED OUT BY CRIMSON

Brown Strategy Forces Game Into Extra Innings--First Overtime Game at Soldiers Field in Three Years

Though badly outhit by the Brown University baseball team, the University nine on Saturday downed the invading Bruins in a ten-inning game, 3 to 2. The game though slow, was interesting throughout, and the Crimson outfit, both in the outfield and in the inner defenses, played the same sterling, wide-awake ball that brought it victory over the Tigers in the first Big Three series. The hitting was weak throughout. Coach Mitchell's charges collected only four hits off the southpaw offerings of Quill. The Brown hurler was the second left-hander to face the Harvard batters this season, the other having been Woodruff, the Amherst captain, and though the team finally came off victor, the game was in doubt until the final out, and the winning run was pushed over, not against Quill, but against the right-handed Danzell.

Booth started the game for Harvard, and though hit freely, he received good support and held the invaders to two runs in seven innings. Cutts finished out the game in bangup fashion after Booth had been removed to allow Slayton to but in his stead at the start of the seventh. Booth allowed seven hits in as many innings one of them a home run by Guerney, while the other run was also upon his shoulders. Edes scoring from second in the first inning after the Crimson hurler's two base error had allowed him to reach this station. Cutts was in fine shape when he assumed the mound burden in the eighth. His slow ball and his sharply breaking curves were working to perfection, and he had complete control of the situation in the final stages of the game.

Crimson Failed to Hit in Pinches

The Crimson batters were unable to hit Quill in the pinches as the 13 Harvard men left on base will testify. He showed signs of weakening in the ninth, however, and was removed in favor of Danzell, ace boxman for the Bruins. In the first game of the Harvard-Brown series, Danzell showed himself weak in fielding bunts, and it was by this method that the home club eked out a win the tenth stanza.

Saturday's game was the first extra inning affair played on Soldiers' Field in three years. At that the Crimson should have won in the regulation distance. In the ninth, with only one out. Harvard had runners on second and third, when the Brown strategy board took a long chance that pushed the game into the tenth inning. Zarakov was walked purposely to get at Todd, who was having trouble with Quill's left-handed shots. Todd hit to third base, and a double play retired the side without score.

In the tenth inning, with Danzell pitching. Dixon fumbled Tobin's grounder and Danzell twice did juggling acts trying to field bunts off the bats of DeRham and Ullman. With the bases full, Sullivan hit to short stop and Tobin got home before the slightly delayed throw to the catcher.

Harvard's other two runs came in the fourth and seventh innings. Burns opened the fourth with a long triple to right field, and scored standing up when Zarakov plunked a single over the third baseman's head. In the seventh MacDonald dropped Tobin's easy fly to centerfield. DeRham walked, and Ullman hunted safely. Tobin scored on Booth's long sacrifice fly after Sullivan had been retired on a fly that gave Tobin no chance from third.

Brown's runs came in the first and in the seventh. After one had been retired in the opening frame, Booth threw wildly in fielding Edes' lunt the Boar right fielder, taking second. A balk advanced him to the far corner, and Ruchstall's hit through short stop sent him over. The other Brown run came in the seventh when Guerney caught one of Booth's fast balls and sent it deep into center field. Burns hooted the ball before picking it up, and the runner made the circuit on the combined hit and messy fielding.

The summary follows:

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Burns c.f.  2  1  1  4  1  0Jones r.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0Zarakov 3b.  2  0  1  2  1  0Todd. l.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0Tobin 1b.  4  2  0  14  2  0DeRham c.  3  0  1  3  1  0Ullman 2b.  5  0  3  2  6  0Sullivan s.s.  5  0  0  1  5  1Booth p.  1  0  0  2  1  2Cutts p.  1  0  0  0  1  0*Slayton  1  0  0  0  0  034  3  6  30  18  3*Datted for Booth in seventhBROWN  a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Schuster 3b.  5  0  1  2  5  0Edes r.f.  5  1  2  2  0  0Ruckstall 2b.  3  0  2  3  2  0Dixon s.s.  4  0  0  2  3  1MacDonald c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  1Guerney l.f.  4  1  2  2  0  0Parker 1b.  4  0  1  9  0  0Holden c.  4  0  0  5  1  0Quill p.  4  0  1  0  0  0Danzell p.  0  0  0  0  0  037  2  9  27  11